Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: iTunes fraud

New Lounger
    Thanks

Discover Card

Discover Card has a one time use feature that I find pretty easy to use.

It installs a small app in which you log in and once that is done, it can auto-populate most data that is required (name, address, credit card number etc) and for the odd site that it cannot auto-populate, you can drag the data over from the app to the web page.

Only disadvantage to me is that it works with IE but not with Firefox.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Feury View Post
    Do/can virtual CCs have the same expiration date and security code as your physical card? If so, form filler software would reduce the copy/paste side of the drawback.
    Nope, the idea is to have the virtual numbers totally different. Also, the expiration date will be very soon.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    American Express will next day your new card. I do not know of others that give this service.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgreenwood View Post
    Discover Card has a one time use feature that I find pretty easy to use.

It installs a small app in which you log in and once that is done, it can auto-populate most data that is required (name, address, credit card number etc) and for the odd site that it cannot auto-populate, you can drag the data over from the app to the web page.

Only disadvantage to me is that it works with IE but not with Firefox.
    I do not trust Discover Card one time use because it requires Adobe Flash. Because of security issues and other issues with Adobe Flash, I uninstalled flash many years ago. I would not trust using the Discover Card one time use because it requires flash. I know Discover would take care of any misuse, but I refuse to have Adobe Flash on my computer.
    GiddyUpGo "Learn from the Past, Live in Today, Prepare for the Future"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    PayPal does not require the use of the security code found on the back of one’s credit card. This means that if someone can hack into PayPal using my name and account number then they can make charges on my account. I had one person make a charge on my credit card through PayPal using only my name. This resulted in my having to get a different card number.
    If hackers can hack into the Pentagon (which they did) then it seems reasonable to assume that they can also hack into PayPal. I don’t think it too much for PayPal to require one simple extra step - that of requiring the CCV number for each payment made. Each year I have made on-line purchases in excess of a thousand dollars. I do my best to avoid any on-line merchant which requires payment via PayPal.
    I ask that you refuse to do business via PayPal unless they change their policy and begin to use the extra security step of requiring the security code on the back of one’s credit card. Your using a company that shows a lack of regard for the security of the customer also reflects on your company.
    BY the way, Amazon also does not use the CCv number for verification either.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Cool iTunes fraud

Thanks for the post. My iTunes account was compromised well over a year ago and it took a great deal of time and effort to get to speak to a real person about it. My bank had alerted me to the suspicious transactions on my credit card within 24 hours, so no huge sum of money was taken at that stage. My account was compromised after I bought the paid version of a free app that I had bought. At the time the only names I new were Steve Jobs (he was still alive) and Tim Cook, so I wrote to them. Finally someone who only gave their firstname contacted me. The Apple person said what happened was highly unusual. He said he could not guarantee that my personal data was also compromised as my major concern was with identity theft. I asked about internet security software the for the iPad and was told there was none. I do have an app which will read email attachments but that would not have helped with what I considered to be malware in the app I downloaded. Apple man and I had an interesting exchange about how I could have downloaded an app which had malware and I reminded him that the only way I could download an app onto my iPad was through iTunes. Essentially, Apple did not help me at all.

As I teach Apple iPad workshops to seniors, I let them know of my experience and advice them to clear all their credit card information from their iTunes account and to use the iTunes cards only. Cheers from Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scaisson View Post
    Re Citicard one-time-use credit card number.
    I just email citicard and get a reply. Citi has a problem with Virtual Account Number software. They are working furiously to fix it.
    I use Citicard virtual numbers all the time, but wasn't aware there was a problem. Do you know what sort of problem? Is it a security problem, like a loophole or something? Or is it just an incompatibility problem with newer OS's?

I do my online purchases in a virtual machine running XP with Firefox, and the Citicard software has been running fine for at least a few years. If it's just a problem with Win7/8, maybe that's why it's still working for me. But if it's got a security loophole, that's different.

And contrary to RandySea's experience, it's certainly not a PITA. On most sites, the plugin offers to populate the form fields for me, saving me a lot of typing. Yeah, you have to do the additional login to Citicard, but that's actually faster and easier than digging out your plastic card and manually typing in all the card info.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem with using Paypal though, is if the transaction failed, you'll have a hard time getting it resolved. It's happened to me twice, both times upon being approved by Paypal but failed when getting back to the shopping site. The first time I lost a bargain due to the discount being valid for one-time use only. The second time when making a flight booking.

The flight booking failure was especially bothersome. The airline could not find the booking, but the purchase was shown as pending in Paypal. Calling Paypal to get it resolved was useless. They said I should contact the airline, with me having already told them that I have done so at the beginning of the conversation. I made three calls to them in total with no result. Eventually the entry in Paypal was cancelled after 30 days. Do you want to wait that long for a flight booking? I didn't, and risking double booking made the booking again using my credit card directly.

Thanks
    I use a credit card that has built in fraud protection, meaning, with many instances they will call me to confirm a big transaction.
    I never allow my credit card information to be stored by any merchant period. If your bold enough to make a purchase over the
    internet, then you can suck it up and enter all your information with each transaction. (being lazy gets you in more trouble)
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    At sites which require a login, you can log in as a guest in many cases, so you never have to create an account in the first place. Some tracking services will not be available, but your credit card info will never reside at a site where you logged in as a guest. Amazon does allow this.

I also don't trust PayPal, and apparently there have been quite a few stories over the years of PayPal Accounts getting hacked. Personally, I don't know if this is true, but I don't like having my email address be the only thing standing between crooks and my money. (This is based on PayPal not accepting anything other than a valid outside email address for a login name. Amazon does the same thing.)

I don't have access to Citibank or its credit cards. And I don't have access to Discover.

Visa used to have one-time transaction numbers in an arrangement with some online merchants. But the practice never caught on, and the big sites like Amazon never joined the program.

Mastercard (my current brand) has never to my knowledge had such a program. I may be wrong about this. If so, someone please post!

FINAL OUTCOME of my case:

Apple issued two "refunds" and got the money back into my checking account faster than a fraud investigation from my bank could possibly have done. I have a new debit card, and intend to try to take steps to better safeguard its info online.

The suggestions in this thread have been helpful, but haven't entirely resolved my original issue with fraudulent use of card info obtained from by unknown path. The info may well not have been stolen online at all, but through a bricks and mortar retailer whose security practices have a long history of breaches. (They are a subsidiary of TJX, which has made many headlines about this issue.) The timing was just about right for this theory.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-11-23 at 12:31.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile internet fraud

I don't know about the US but in Canada you can get a gas card. The max limit for this card is $500.00 or $1000.00 if you want, I kept it at $500.00 and told master card to expect to see small on line purchases. Therfore my real credit card is never used on line You still must follow the other safety issues but your exposure is reduced.

Bob

New Lounger
    Thanks
    dg1261, Just wanted to let you know that I too use them and I have Citicard also but choose to use my Discover credit card that offers the virtual numbers that are good for 1 time. The easiest feature of using it online from my computer/smart phone is it is incorporated into the browser you are using at the time and checks to see if in fact the connection you are using is actually secured.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bob,
    I use gas and gift cards also and I like the fact that I purchase them with my credit card and then get discount off gas and cash back from my credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by BobFo View Post
    I don't know about the US but in Canada you can get a gas card. The max limit for this card is $500.00 or $1000.00 if you want, I kept it at $500.00 and told master card to expect to see small on line purchases. Therfore my real credit card is never used on line You still must follow the other safety issues but your exposure is reduced.

Bob

Thanks
    Paypal has a nice feature -- whenever I want to do anything with my Paypal account, it sends a code as a text message to my cell phone. If I don't enter the code, I can't log into my acct, which means I can't buy anything with my paypal acct.

An added benefit is that if anyone tries to hack my Paypal acct, I get a text message immediately.

I believe this is called "Security Key".

Thanks
    Maybe I should get a cell phone. This option is also used for password recovery at Google (GMail) and other places online. Microsoft Live ID also has the cell phone code option for password reset.
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast