New Lounger

"Additional login information may be required..."

I am posting this in the General and Windows 7 forums as I don't know if it affects any other Windows versions.

Following the 11/13/2012 Windows Update process all 4 of our Win 7 machines (Home Prem x64 and Starter x32) would display a warning bubble with the message "Additional login information may be required. Click here...". On the three systems that were hardwired, the Network Sharing Center indicated that Internet access was NOT available. On the one wireless system it showed that it WAS available. In spite of this all four systems could access the internet. The warning bubble would pop up periodically.

A user on the SevenForums site posted the following registry edit after paying Microsoft for a problem call.

Open regedit and navigate as follows:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet
    Double-click on EnableActiveProbing
    Change value to 0.

I did this on all four of our systems (parameter was set to 1 on all of them), rebooted them all and they seem fine.

Just wanted to pass it on and thanks to Michael on the SevenForums site.

Cardiff, UK
    Thanks for that fix, it seems to be a common problem for W7 users of OpenDNS.