New Lounger
    Thanks

Weird hotlinks appearing on IE9 webpages

Recently when reading web pages on almost any site seemingly random hotlinks appear on the pages. These usually are single words that are underlined and clickable in a story. Passing the cursor over these links will bring up a pop-up window that seems to have nothing whatsoever to do with the story or other material in which it appears, but is usually an ad. (No, I do not click on them.) Any ideas? TIA.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-11-14 at 04:55.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Some sites do that for ad revenue. Do they really appear "on almost any site"? Can you provide some site names?

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply (and thanks to the person who corrected my typo in the thread name, which I was unable to do for some reason). Now that you have inquired, I can only find the links on the Wall Street Journal site. I know I have seen them elsewhere, but can't list any others just now. Perhaps they are not as common as I originally thought. I have a subscription and do read the WSJ most days. It just started to appear suddenly and I suppose I was concerned that it might be a virus, although I have fortunately never been plagued with that. Paranoia has its benefits!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'd find them even more annoying on a site I was paying to visit anyway, but no worse than paying to view ads on cable TV I suppose.

Bruce

Thanks
    Any title corrections have to be done in Advanced Mode Editing at the bottom of the Edit Window. You are most welcome.

GoAdvanced.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Sorry, I did not remember that.

Oh no there goes the timing thing again. This is just one of several problems that seems to be affecting the Lounge today. They have been reported, although being a holiday weekend, I'm not sure how soon things will be worked on.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Any title corrections have to be done in Advanced Mode Editing at the bottom of the Edit Window.
    But vBulletin has a time limit for mere mortal users to be able to edit their thread title (as opposed to post title), and the default is 5 minutes.

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Two other sites: CNet and OU Insiders, one free, one pay. It just seems strange, and I thought there might be a setting I was missing in IE9. Also, "TV" is a highlighted link in Bruce's reply above, so it seems to be happening here, as well!

I guess it's just the old story: a game to see whether our computers can drive us bonkers before we decide life was better without them (which I cannot imagine).

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane in KC View Post
    Also, "TV" is a highlighted link in Bruce's reply above, so it seems to be happening here, as well!
    You must have some add-on which is turning certain words into links. IE9 alone would not show a link for TV on this page.

Word Links / IE Browser - Random words turn into links when I'm browsing

It's probably "Text Enhance": Adware: How To Remove Text Enhance

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-11-29 at 13:11.

mart44
    I've had these links in browsers. As far as I know, it's always the same thing. An advertising method Vibrant Media uses called IntelliTXT. Simple Adblock (not free) should stop them in IE, or an adblocker when using any other browser. Adding a Tracking Protection List (TPL) to IE could also work. One of the lists available is the same one as used in Adblock.

https://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/B...otectionLists/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had the same issue. Here is how I sorted the issue out.

1. Got to your browser ad-ons and remove or delete an ad-on that looks like "browse2save".

2. If you had downloaded some freeware and free tools on the net, you may have downloaded & installed what's called Browse2Save.
    Go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features and look for a program that maybe called something like Browse2Save. Uninstall that program and restart your browsers. It affects all browsers (I have tested Firefox, Chrome & IE).

Good luck.

Thanks
    These add-ons generally have opt out check boxes when you install free S/W. Some sites include several of these. It's a real PITA. Sometimes it takes a little effort to find the opt out check boxes. I haven't seen any that don't have the opt out, but then again I haven't seen them all.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    What really irritates me are the web sites that precheck the opt in boxes and then when you get an error because you failed to provide some required information they recheck the boxes when the page is refreshed with the other correct information. Its real easy to overlook this since you already opted out once.

Jerry

Thanks
    I agree. There are a couple of well known sites that have been getting increasingly more irritating with these add-ons. CNet and Softpedia come to mind. But then again, Adobe and Java seem to periodically add other apps to their installs. They seem to like Browser Toolbars.

In many cases it really takes effort to find these opt out check boxes. And like you said, they come back if you make a mistake. A real PITA!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted