Thread: Re ReFS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re ReFS

Noted that Windows 8 offers this new (to other than the server family) file system.

Hoping someone would discuss:
    1. What are its advantages/disadvantages compared to NTFS?
    2. For the average hobbyist/home-user is there really any advantage(s) to switching? If yes, what?
    3. Why will it not function on the boot drive?
    4. What are the implications of this split file system (NTFS boot drive, rest of system ReFS)?
    5. If a file is, for eg., stored on an NTFS volume how is it changed when it is stored to a ReFS volume? Is a "file a file" or is there an "NTFS version"and a "ReFS version" (poorly expressed, I admit)?
    6. Is it a Windows 8 64 bit implementation only?
    7. Are all current (NTFS-based) file recovery utilities rendered obsolete? Is there a ReFS-compatible utility?
    8. Is conversion from NTFS to ReFS destructive or non-destructive (ie, convert the partition to ReFS without losing the data?
    9. Is a ReFS non-destructively reversible? Or, is it a case of pulling off all the data, reformatting to NTFS & replacing the data?
    10. What would a current hex-editor display for a ReFS file? Or, would a ReFS-compliant hex-editor be necessary?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Duncan_1 For This Useful Post:

edreyer76 (2012-11-14)

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The Resilient File System is not yet implemented on Windows 8. I believe Microsoft have plans to role it out onto the client OS, but as yet I think it is only available on Server 2012.

Will it be useful for the hobbyist and or general user: I think undoubtedly in terms of data robustness and reliability, yes. Will many general users notice the difference?...probably not.

A few links to Technet article on ReFS:

Here, here, here and here.

I really should get round to testing it on Server 2012, but I haven't had time, so can't comment much further.
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2012-11-14 at 15:29. Reason: added an extra link for the original Windows Team blog discussion on ReFS
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinto Tech For This Useful Post:

Medico (2012-11-14)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan_1 View Post
    Noted that Windows 8 offers this new (to other than the server family) file system.

Hoping someone would discuss:
    1. What are its advantages/disadvantages compared to NTFS?
    ReFS is a 64-bit file system, for Windows 2012 Server.

2. For the average hobbyist/home-user is there really any advantage(s) to switching? If yes, what?
    No. Windows 8 cannot boot from a ReFS partitioned drive.

3. Why will it not function on the boot drive?
    It's a 64-bit file system for file server use. Windows 8, in all flavors including Server 2012, aren't configured to boot from a 64-bit file system.

4. What are the implications of this split file system (NTFS boot drive, rest of system ReFS)?
    Too soon to tell.

5. If a file is, for eg., stored on an NTFS volume how is it changed when it is stored to a ReFS volume? Is a "file a file" or is there an "NTFS version"and a "ReFS version" (poorly expressed, I admit)?
    It is changed on the ReFS partition/disk, but not on the NTFS partition/disk.
    6. Is it a Windows 8 64 bit implementation only?
    Yes.

7. Are all current (NTFS-based) file recovery utilities rendered obsolete? Is there a ReFS-compatible utility?
    There are tools in Window 2012 Server for ReFS. NTFS tools are unlikely to work on a ReFS partition/disk, although many NTFS features will work on ReFS, such as BitLocker.
    8. Is conversion from NTFS to ReFS destructive or non-destructive (ie, convert the partition to ReFS without losing the data?
    I don't have an answer for that.
    9. Is a ReFS non-destructively reversible? Or, is it a case of pulling off all the data, reformatting to NTFS & replacing the data?
    I don't have an answer for that, either.
    10. What would a current hex-editor display for a ReFS file? Or, would a ReFS-compliant hex-editor be necessary?
    Again, I don't have an answer for that, either.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Medico (2012-11-14)

Thanks
    Thanks guys, I had no idea about this. Very useful.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think this says "No" to those two:

Q) Can I convert data between NTFS and ReFS?

In Windows 8 there is no way to convert data in place. Data can be copied. This was an intentional design decision given the size of data sets that we see today and how impractical it would be to do this conversion in place, in addition to the likely change in architected approach before and after conversion.

Building the next generation file system for Windows: ReFS

Bruce