5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 7 Preview out

PATCH WATCH

Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 7 Preview out

By Susan Bradley

Windows 7 users receive security patches for IE 9 plus a preview of IE10. Also, OpenDNS and Microsoft duke it out over an IPv6 update with your computer acting as referee.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/internet-explorer-10-on-windows-7-preview-out/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2012-11-14 at 20:53.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    FYI.

OpenDNS issue with the 11/13/12 update item for IPV6 is fixed.

I got the pop ups on all my domain attached machines all day on 11/13. I temporarily turned off NXDOMAIN redirect in the OPENDNS control panel to stop the issue. By 7PM EST I was able to turn NXDOMAIN redirect back on. I have followed and posted on several forums including the OpenDNS forum. I am disappointed in OpenDNS' lack of proactive handling of this fiasco. Yes, they fixed the problem, but they certainly haven't explained anything to paid users.

Lounger
    Thanks
    What is the recommendation for KB 2596848? Office 2007 nonsecurity update. Didn't see it in column or on list. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MarciaG View Post
    What is the recommendation for KB 2596848? Office 2007 nonsecurity update. Didn't see it in column or on list. Thanks.
    Susan doesn't usually list non-security updates in the chart, and only some get discussed in the column.

I installed KB2596848 immediately and it has caused no problems; but it only provides compatibility with some documents created by Office 2013, which is still in preview/trial.

Bottom line: flip a coin, you won't notice either way.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-11-18 at 20:43.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll be posting about that on the "Thanksgiving leftovers" edition of WindowsSecrets tomorrow. I haven't seen issues but I am not deploying Office 2013. I'm going to do a skip.