5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Accounts: The good, bad, and indifferent

WOODY'S WINDOWS

Microsoft Accounts: The good, bad, and indifferent

By Woody Leonhard

For those venturing into Windows 8, one of the first surprises during the installation process is a request for your Microsoft account.

Providing your account name is optional, but doing so has numerous implications that extend beyond Windows 8.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/woodys-windows/microsoft-accounts-the-good-bad-and-indifferent/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Thanks
    My original beta setup for Windows 8 was a Microsoft Account login in an Administrator Account. But in the actual RTM installation, I only use local logins. My Standard User uses picture-gesture, but Guest uses no password, and the Administrator uses a local traditional alphanumeric login password.

There's a reason I don't use logins for the Administrator Account which are of types not supported by Windows XP. I use a crossover Ethernet Cable to link up my Windows XP laptop with my Windows 8 laptop. As long as the login type for at least one Windows 8 user on the network is of a type recognized by Windows XP, the XP laptop can join and participate as a Limited User in the Windows 8 Homegroup, thus avoiding having to work with the XP laptop through a Workgroup. So the login type in Windows 8 must be pretty traditional, although Windows XP does recognize email addresses for logging in.

If I want something from the Microsoft Store, or want to use a Metro App, then and only then I sign in to my Microsoft Account. This Account is tied to an external email address, so I want to be extra careful, especially after finding fraudulent iTunes Store charges in my bank account due to someone else mishandling my credit card data. (Probably a bricks and mortar store in the TJX family of stores -- my mistake for letting them have the card number.)

90 percent of my time is spent doing non-Metro things in Windows 8, so I'm happy not to log into a Microsoft Account each time I fire up the laptop.

I am also dual-booting Windows 8 with Windows 7, at least until I decide whether or not I like working with Windows 8's Desktop. Still sitting on the fence after about a year with the Win 8 Betas.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-11-15 at 11:13.
    -- Bob Primak --

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found a problem with having a diff Hotmail acct password and MS Acct login password. I assume the only way to do it is to have separate hotmail accts. The hotmail acct associated with the microsoft acct has to have the same password. No way around this.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mlg63 View Post
    I found a problem with having a diff Hotmail acct password and MS Acct login password. I assume the only way to do it is to have separate hotmail accts. The hotmail acct associated with the microsoft acct has to have the same password. No way around this.
    Yeah, that seems to be the way Hotmail and MS Live interact.
    -- Bob Primak --