5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Synching Outlook to an Android device

LANGALIST PLUS

Synching Outlook to an Android device

By Fred Langa

How can you use your Microsoft Outlook–based e-mail, contacts, and calendar on an Android smartphone or tablet? It's surprisingly easy! A number of built-in and free third-party Android tools provide the solution.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/synching-outlook-to-an-android-device/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps I'm just sleep-deprived, but after clicking on the link for Google Sync, I am still in the dark as to how I sync Google Contacts with Outlook. I currently use a 3rd party program called GSyncIt, but would love to use a native app. It looks like I could only do this if I shelled out for the Google Apps for Business suite. Am I missing something?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Samsung Kies

I wonder why you don't mention the Kies Samsung software which does the synching very well with Outlook 2010 (contacts, calendar and even Notes which are synched with the Memo application (Android Gingerbread on a Galaxy S 1 (GT-I9000).
    And, last but not least, the last version of Kies (2.5.0.12104_15) doesn't interfere anymore with the very useful Microsoft Synctoy software - as the older versions did - by spoiling the installed .NET framework. It's fixed now and everything works fine.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As a comment on the later letter about separating programs & data, I agree the degree of separation is not as necessary now and leave pagefile be. However, I still do some separation.
    1 - default locations are also used by various programs to dump stuff in, meaning you have little control over folders that show up.
    2 - Win7 has moved to a better, flatter folder structure but is still inferior to my own design for my own needs. They have not completely let go of the "my" nonsense either.
    3 - backup and recovery requirements are quite different between OS/programs and data. I'm happy to image the OS with the built-in tools but those images are hardly easily accessible if something serious goes wrong and I need access to the files before the system is restored. I need to back up files more often than OS as well.

Perhaps it's old habits, but I still store my data and back it up separately. It's an approach that's served me very well. I also find it simpler.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps you don't travel much, otherwise I'm surprised you didn't mention one other reason to use a tablet. A tablet is a wonderful way to take a nearly complete computer with you, without lugging a laptop around and still be able to take notes in meetings, show presentations, read email on the road, and of course watch Netflix, listen to music, or read a book in the hotel at night. All the travel warriors in my office love them primarily for that reason alone.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidFB View Post
    As a comment on the later letter about separating programs & data, I agree the degree of separation is not as necessary now and leave pagefile be. However, I still do some separation.
    1 - default locations are also used by various programs to dump stuff in, meaning you have little control over folders that show up.
    2 - Win7 has moved to a better, flatter folder structure but is still inferior to my own design for my own needs. They have not completely let go of the "my" nonsense either.
    3 - backup and recovery requirements are quite different between OS/programs and data. I'm happy to image the OS with the built-in tools but those images are hardly easily accessible if something serious goes wrong and I need access to the files before the system is restored. I need to back up files more often than OS as well.

Perhaps it's old habits, but I still store my data and back it up separately. It's an approach that's served me very well. I also find it simpler.
    I agree completely. I also don't bother about the pagefile anymore (partly because I currently have only one HD), but I keep Windows and programs on one partition, personal data on another. I create image backups of both almost daily with third party programs from Terabyte Unlimited, Inc.

It not uncommon for me to make some mistake or ill conceived trial and want to restore an image of the OS. I like being able to do that without even thinking about my personal data.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The website www.SyncDroid.net does a wonderful service, keeping an up-to-date list of all the programs which sync Outlook with Android. Why are there almost 40 programs available to do this? Because both the Android calendar and the regular Google calendar choke when it comes to handling recurring events, and subsequent exceptions to those series.
    I just finished testing all the tools listed at SyncDroid.net which sync the Outlook calendar, and found only one worked flawlessly: CompanionLink. Sadly, it's also one of the most expensive programs there.

What is especially grating about this is that the Palm operating system was able to match Outlook's calendar stride for stride from the very beginning. It didn't require an expensive app; it was built right into the OS. Google, with its huge resources and the smartest brains on the planet is unable to do that. Pity.

Lounger
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Kathleen Atkins;879055][tbl="align=center bgcolor=white cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width=100% summary=LangaList Plus"][tr] [td="valign=top align=left width=620"]

LANGALIST PLUS

I haven't read through all of the responses here yet, but sorry Fred, but you make it appears that using Google Sync to interface Outlook with Android-based devices is a breeze. Far from it...it's a pain to set up up & far from easy. I'll concede that once you go through all of the painstaking steps to implement it, it then works as 'advertised' given that the Android OS is a Google product. I use DejaOffice, & with few tweaks to the Android-based contacts & calendar, it works flawlessly. Just my 2 cents.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OMG! Has it finally come? The day when my 25 years of following Fred Langa's gospel of separating OS and user data has ended?
    I have GB's of user data on separate partitions, separate HD's and written off to DVD's all to be sure not to lose the treasures if the system crashes.
    I NEVER thought I'd read these words from you, Fred.
    I don't know if I can re-program my brain...
    Are we thinking an image of an integrated C partition is all we need?
    What about my annual financial data for taxes?
    What about my yearly directory of 75G of digital photography, carefully organized by month and event?
    What about my annual Outlook archive folders?
    I could go on...
    I'm sorry, I may have to seek religious counseling on this one...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I also would vote for gSyncit (Fieldstonesoftware.com). It does sync Outlook (contacts, calendar and notes, but notes are synchronized with Google Drive), but since Google does not have tasks, which I rely on quite heavily to keep me organized, I had to search for a replacement for Google for my Galaxy Samsung Note. I found a full-featured replacement with Pocket Informant which brought back many memories as I used to use this program on my Windows mobile phone back in the dark ages. And the best news of all, gSyncit synchronizes with Pocket Informant (using PI Online which has a $15 annual subscription fee). GSyncit will synchronize calendar, contacts, tasks, and coming soon notes with Pocket Informant android version 3. And, yes, it handles recurring events quite nicely and the Pocket Informant user-interface on the android device is stunning.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't double-checked, but I think Google just very recently went to a pay basis for Google Sync unless you're grandfatehered. You may want to confirm that.