New Lounger
    Thanks

converting audio tapes for iPod use

I have a lot of audio tapes that I want to convert to .wav files for use on my PC and eventually on my iPod. My PC does not have a sound card with RCA connections so I will need to covert the audio out of the tape deck to USB on the PC.
    Does anyone have any advice ? I'm having a hard time finding an RCA / USB audio converter ?

thanks,
    Don

... never mind - found the answer.
    I did find a product, Behringer UFO202 Audio Interface, which can be used with Audacity and once it's in there I can save it in wav format and then convert to flac in another program.
    Last edited by djohnson123; 2011-04-01 at 12:52. Reason: found the answer

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Doesn't your PC have a "banana" audio-in plug? Most PCs I have seen have one, though I have to admin that my HP laptop doesn't have one but most desktops should have such a line-in plug. For my desktop, I got an adapter from Radio shack that has two female RCA plugs on one end and a banana plug at the other end. That worked for me to convert all of my vinyl, reel-to-reel and cassettes to MP3.

But as you already noted, there are various hardware solutions that will will let you plug various audio or video input into USB. Have fun transferring the music; I know that I really have enjoyed being able to listen to all of my old music. I even got my kids interested in some of it!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Get an adaptor. 2 x RCA to 3.5mm stereo. Plug into the line in of your sound card.

p.s. save as MP3 > 256kbps rather than WAV. Portable, can be played by anything, straight copy to the ipood.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The sound card has no external connections except for speakers and a microphone.
    I'm waiting for the Behringer to come ( I've heard great things about it ) and i will let you know how it's working.
    Thanks for the replies.

Don

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You will really like the Behringer. I have one and it works great. If you have XP, the codec is built into the device and is pretty much plug and play, aside from assigning Windows to use it as the recording device. If you have Windows 7, you'll need to download a driver.
    Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I got the Behringer yesterday and I'l all set to go !
    Let's see, 1500 LPs and 500 cassettes ... might take a while !

New Lounger
    Thanks
    as for me, i prefer this prog http://www.macvide.com/Macvide_iPod_Converter/, try it!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the heads up on the Behringer UFO202! Would the Behringer UCA202 U-Control Ultra low-latency 2 In/2 Out USB/Audio Interface do the job just as well? Only Amazon have temporarily withdrawn the UFO202....

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson123 View Post
    The sound card has no external connections except for speakers and a microphone.
    I'm waiting for the Behringer to come ( I've heard great things about it ) and i will let you know how it's working.
    Thanks for the replies.

Don
    If all you have is microphone in, Radio Shack used to sell a cable with 3.5mm plugs on each end that had a built in attenuator to take line level down to microphone. Problem is, it may have been one channel only and not stereo. It used to be used to take radio scanner earphone audio out to a tape recorder for recording.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by essex133 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on the Behringer UFO202! Would the Behringer UCA202 U-Control Ultra low-latency 2 In/2 Out USB/Audio Interface do the job just as well? Only Amazon have temporarily withdrawn the UFO202....
    Unless I'm missing something it looks like it should work. Also, it appears both of those are in stock right now.
    Chuck