New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down Windows 8 for $40? Yeah Right - Not in this country

Clarification needed on your special issue introduction: "The good news is that setting up and exploring Windows 8 is relatively cheap and easy. You can buy five upgrade licenses for $40." I think this is U.S. $40 each license — not five for $40. — Allen M. Rosenston

[Mr. Rosenston is correct. We put up a correction the day after the story was published. But even at $40 per system, Win8 is cheap. — Editor]
    It's cheap if available. All the blurb and Hype says available in 138 Countries, Brilliant, Terrific, Except South Africa and the communist block, Typical Microsoft want to ***** like the Government and it's cronies do. Here it's equivalent of $80 G R R R R H

PATHETIC
    Last edited by ruirib; 2012-11-15 at 08:00. Reason: Post edited to remove unacceptable language

Thanks
    You get what you pay for.

Oh.... and don't for the taxes, regulatory fees and other pay-offs.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    Please do not blame MS for the add-ons of your country. MS has no control over this what so ever. Blame the politicians in your country.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry

The Government don't add 100% taxes, it's duty free as it falls under intellectual property.

They advertising the hell out of Windows 8 on TV every night but won't let you upgrade thru the regular channels like the rest of the world. You have to go to a dealer. That's not the Governments doing. Sure they as corrupt as hell and they'd love to have a slice of the pie, but this is a Microsoft decision. Force you to go to a retailer and buy an upgrade off the shelf. Don't understand.
    Last edited by mtech61; 2012-11-15 at 10:57.

Thanks
    No, MS has to follow the rules of the country you live in. If your government says they have to charge a certain amount then they have to do so. MS has committed to charging a certain amount ($40) or equivalent wherever it is sold, but must conform to the import rules of each country. Hence the added cost.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mtech61 View Post
    Windows 8 for $40? Yeah Right - Not in this country

Except South Africa ... Here it's equivalent of $80 G R R R R H
    At 299 Rand ($33.48), you could get it for less than most of us: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ZA/windows/buy

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-11-15 at 15:17.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Nice find, Bruce. It's indeed cheaper than in the US. Microsoft is not charging any extras on account of exchange rates, it seems, quite the contrary.

Thanks
    The price will vary slightly between different countries for the reasons mentioned above, I suspect it will too with the system builders versions.
    But still, 80 dollars is not too bad at all, provided it's the full pro version and not some upgrade one.

There will also be import restriction to some countries due to political issues. In such cases one might be getting a pirated copy.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to reinforce my point

I clicked on the Windows 8 for R299 Link (Thanks BruceR) and eventually came to the point where it wanted my Credit Card. I selected MasterCard (I have a shiny new Gold one) which I use with Vendors all over the world, No Problem, plenty of credit, doing a local transaction, what could go wrong? It ask for my details which I double check, then it says hit Enter to proceed and says "Sorry there's a problem please try again" I go thru all the details, no Typos, still no go. (I had tried a few days prior and thought maybe network congestion etc :-( I think think "Oh well let's use PayPal" the Paypal procedure seems to be going smoothly, I hear my Blackberry beep with a txt message from my Credit card company that the payment has gone through. Great stuff! Then a brief flash on the screen says "Transaction Failed" or something, it was only there for a nanosecond at most so I can't be sure

Now MS have my Money , I have a blank screen and the fun begins.

I call The Local MS toll free number which puts me through to a call centre in India (no Problem with that , Lovely People) the gentleman listens to my story and promises me faithfully he will email me requesting proof of my payment and proof of PayPal order etc. I wait 30 Minutes and give up. I then call back a little heated as I wanted to install over the weekend as my Clients are bugging me to give my opinion of Windows 8, should they or shouldn't they upgrade? I then get a lovely Slovak lady who I almost patiently tell my whole sad story all over again and She swears faithfully she will send me an email to ask for proof of Payment coming out of my Mastercard. Eventually 15 Minutes later it arrives, I then proceed to recount the whole affair complete with pictures. Proof aplenty. This was Friday.

I then called Microsoft South Africa this morning (Monday) and was told that they don't have a division to talk to me I must call the UK and was given an incorrect toll-free number for the UK (Good going Microsoft SA). However they only open in 2 Hours (UK Time - I suppose can't blame them form the time zone difference)

I went about my Monday and on my return at lunch time there was an email from a Microsoft South Africa Employee saying sorry for the inconvenience he would escalate it (I thought the proof of payment was the escalation?) Someone called me a a short while later and told me he was going to get someone from the Microsoft store on the line which he did and hung up. This Microsoft Employee at the Microsoft store told me Yes we are having a lot of issues with PayPal and blamed them!? (Despite the fact that Microsoft wouldn't accept a valid internationally accepted Mastercard which is why in desperation I tried PayPal) At least PayPal sent me confirmation of my Pending Credit card transaction and order. Then the Microsoft Gentleman says he needs a week to sort it out?!? I tell him for crying out loud this is the digital age, you took the money off my card via Paypal in 2 Nanoseconds but you need a week to either refund me or give me an Activation key? Needless to say by now I have had enough.

Now you ask why I don't trust doing anything locally with Microsoft. That's most of it. There is more but..... I don't have the time or energy. It would be quicker and more effective to lodge a dispute with Mastercard and walk to the Nearest store and buy it, than wait a week for Microsloth ! GRRRH It's not even about the money and the slimy advertising (R299 instead of $39.99) They charged me R367-04 not R299. But I don't care it's not about the money even though they advertise R299 with fine print saying how the R/$ exchange rate could cause price to be higher. Since when was the Rate R7.47 to the US$ ? Clever advertising but underhand if you ask me. Why not simply say $39.99 can't we work out 39.99 x 9.18 ?

And now we wait with bated breath.