Star Lounger
    Thanks

how do I reestablish my USB ports now tht I have only usb keyboard and mous

O.K., so I worry too much. But I did have all of my usb ports disappear one time in Vista. I found help to re-establish them (there was a technical term for this but I have forgotten it). I needed the keyboard and mouse to do this. I just got a new Win 7 computer and it has only usb keyboard and mouse. What do I do if it becomes "locked in?"

Thanks
    I'm not quite sure I understand what your asking, but I'll give it a try;

Your USB keyboard and mouse are 100% plug and play and therefore cannot get locked into one USB port on your computer.
    You computer only needs one keyboard and mouse.
    It takes a seriously messed up computer for your USB ports to have disappeared, seriously.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I have been running my desktop on USB keyboard and mouse for 5 years. Worry not.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reassurance, but last year I downloaded a map update from Garmin and it wiped out all of my USB ports. I called Garmin and a very helpful tech person admitted that this had happened to others and went far beyond what he was supposed to do and walked me through reestablishing the connections. That was Vista, I am now on W7, so unless something has changed, I still fell at risk.

Thanks
    Plan on updating your Garmin GPS maps anytime soon?
    What was the procedure used to restore the USB functionality?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.