3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can a duration be a formula in MS Project?

Normally, in duration, one puts a time (days, hours etc). Is it possible to put a formula in there instead?

For example, I have a set of tasks. At the end, I want a task called "slack" which is the difference between the finish time of the task above and the finish time of another task. That way, if a task changes, I can quickly see how much slack time I end up with.

To me, it sounds like something that should be easy to do - but of course, it isn't. So, any clues gratefully received.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks
    I'm looking at Project 2003 today, but in this respect I don't believe 2010 has changed this much from 2003.
    Instead of amending the duration (which I don't think is possible).
    Try checking out these three fields Start Slack, Total Slack and Free Slack. From the insert menu, choose insert column, then select the slack type you want to display in the column.

If those don't do it for you, I'd then look at creating a custom field. Check out Tools, Customize, Fields.
    of course, my directions are based on 2003. So you may have to change things up.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Thanks
    @Catharine: Your suggestion(s) work the same way in Project 2010...
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2015, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). (UEFI-booted)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks. I'll give that a try.

[edit] - yes, that does exactly what I want.

Alan

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So I'm using Baseline1 Duration, Baseline2 Duration, and Baseline3 Duration to use a optimistic, most likely, and pessimistic duration then using Duration1 custom field to generate a PERT Duration estimate (Formula -> ([Baseline1 Duration]+(4*[Baseline2 Duration]+[Baseline3 Duration])/6). The problem is that I can not figure out now how to use that formula derived duration in the GANT chart as the assigend duration for each activity. Can anyone help me solve this last step?