Thread: System setup

New Lounger
    Thanks

System setup

I received a used computer running XP pro. It had 4 user accounts setup on the system, all listed as administrators. Only one of the account passwords was known by the party that I received it from. I can login to the system ok through that user. The computer works just fine. My problem is that it must have some settings that were put into place that I am unable to change. If I log on and leave the computer for approx. 15 minutes or more it automatically logs me off and any applications that I left open are completely closed without saving. As an example if I am viewing an Excel spreadsheet and leave the computer when I return later I need to log back in and there are no applications open on the screen. Also any changes that I apply such as removing the language toolbar do not hold after logging back in. I cannot remove the other user accounts because it will not allow me to. I've looked through the administrative tools but can't find any that seem to have control of these things. I've tried resetting the amount of time before it logs off but the new settings don't seem to stick. What am I missing? Do I need to do a complete reinstall of the operating system or am I looking in the wrong places? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Try this: How to Delete a Second Hidden Administrator Account in Windows XP

Do you have the original install disk?
    In the event that you have no installation disks make a complete imaged backup and a bootable restore disk.

Forgot your Windows admin password?
    A bootable solution that may recover the passwords of other accounts.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-11-15 at 22:54.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did a little research on the net and found out that I have a screen saver called winexit.scr that logs me out. When i right click on the file there is a config option which I clicked. The window had a check box that was checked to force applications to quit. When I unchecked it my computer would still log me out but when I put my password in the programs were still opened. This is better but I would like to be able to just move the mouse and the computer screen would just come back. Now I have to renter my password to get in again every time after a certain period of inactivity.

Thanks
    Instructions for removing the password when awaking from your screen saver is here:
    http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_..._password.html

Jerry