New Lounger
    Thanks

Copy & Pasting Table in Word ... Odd placement

I am attempting to copy and paste a table from one document into another. When I try to paste the table into the new document, it ignores where the cursor is and places it either above or below other text. Even more puzzling, it sometimes places it in the header if there is one, even though I don't have the header open. If I try to put additional text or a paragraph break in the text preceding the table, the table splits and some of the preceding text appears in the gap. I am totally frustrated by this.

My work around has been to insert a text box and then paste the table into the text box. At least that way it doesn't get sucked into the header and I can at least place it where I want it.

I use Word a lot but am not an expert. Any suggestions?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Might the table you're copying be formatted with the 'around' property? If so, its position on the page is largely independent of the text and the same would apply when pasted.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Changing the text wrapping from Around to None in table properties will move the table back to its "anchor's" position (or where the cursor was when you pasted it).

HTH,
    Pam

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So far so good! You were right, the text wrapping was set at 'Around' so I changed it to 'None' and the first copy and paste attempt put it where I wanted it...and NOT in the header! What a simple explanation, but I had not thought to look at that property so it eluded me. Thanks so much for your help, Macropod and Pam!