New Lounger
    Thanks

.dotm template becomes .tmp after some minutes

Hi,

Lately I'm having the following problem in Word 2007 under Windows 7:

If I open a .dotm template, it converts itself to something like EA176575.tmp after a little while. I quit Word. Start Word again, and the real name of the template is still in the Open > Recent documents list. I click on the template's real name to open it again, and it opens with the .tmp name.

If I restart the PC, start Windows and open the file through the Recent files, it opens with its real name.

(The template is in a server folder and the Autorecover file location is in my local machine.)

Does anybody know what could be the issue here?

The only thing I found about this (and related to Word 2000 & 2003) is here, but no real explanation yet:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...f-704def13e36a

Thanks a lot,

Daniel
    Last edited by bcn; 2012-11-28 at 11:05.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I don't know the answer, but I'll take a guess -- you have autobackup set to x number of minutes. When that many minutes have passed, your template goes to .tmp. Try adjusting the time for autobackup, to see if that has any effect on the template situation.

It doesn't make sense that autobackup would have any effect on your template; but I can't think of anything else at this point.

Maybe there's an autobackup setting for templates.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Does it happen with all templates or just one in particular? Do you have any macros in this template? Is it possible that one of those macros is causing the problem?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia