Lounger
    Thanks

Excel File Growing Beyond Belief

I am a desktop tech at a municipal agency with what i thought was great skill in Excel.User gave me a spreadsheet with about 50,000 rows, 20 columns on one page, pivot table on another. She needed just about 150 rows left, delete the rest.I do it, but file that started out as 16 MB, doubles. I then start deleting the empty rows, file still grows, now I have 20000 rows and file is almost 200 MB.I delete data from 1st page, save file. Still huge. Also, this was originally a netork file, but even locally, I cannot change the file sharing.Why is file growing when it should be shrinking. I also confess to being ignorant on pivot tables.Help!!!!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wexmary View Post
    I am a desktop tech at a municipal agency with what i thought was great skill in Excel.User gave me a spreadsheet with about 50,000 rows, 20 columns on one page, pivot table on another. She needed just about 150 rows left, delete the rest.I do it, but file that started out as 16 MB, doubles. I then start deleting the empty rows, file still grows, now I have 20000 rows and file is almost 200 MB.I delete data from 1st page, save file. Still huge. Also, this was originally a netork file, but even locally, I cannot change the file sharing.Why is file growing when it should be shrinking. I also confess to being ignorant on pivot tables.Help!!!!
    Not sure if this will help, but if you right-click the Pivot Table and select Pivot Table options or Table Options (not sure which version of Excel you have), is there an option that says Save Data with File. If it's checked, uncheck it, save the file, open it again and try refreshing the Pivot Table and see if this helps. As always, take a backup copy of the file first.

Thanks
    Is it a Shared Workbook? If so, file bloat is one of the many common issues with shared workbooks.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel