New Lounger
    Thanks

Backups exist, but not available through 'previous version' tab

I make weekly backups of my Drive(C) using Windows backup and restore on a scheduled task to a separate hard drive (E) I also make daily restore points.
    If I view that hard drive I find the older versions of files I currently have on my drive (C).
    However when I look on the 'previous versions' tab of the file properties on my drive(c) nothing is listed, even though there are many backed up versions on Drive(E. Windows does not appear to search for the backup.
    Previously this did all work ok and has stopped since I had to re-format (E). Since the reformat I have 4 successful backups on this drive but am left with the problem as I describe. There are some services associated with windows backup and they are running.
    I have some feeling that by deleting previous backups by formatting the drive I may have upset some sort of Windows indexing.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    try stopping and restarting windows indexing. Check indexing includes your 'E' drive by checking the drives properties and ticking 'allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties' option.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-11-17 at 04:23.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Trunxson,

Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster.

Windows Backup and Previous Versions are two different features and don't share data or storage space.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    While I understand windows backup and previous versions don't share data, I expect, having turned on system protection on drive C, that any changed file occurring between two restore points would list, or point to a 'previous version' in that file's property whether from the registry hive on drive c or the windows backup on my backup drive E. When this feature was working last month all previous versions were listed as either from the result of a backup or restore. Nothing I have tried brings back functionality any more. I have read and tried just about everything possible from the threads on this site and others but now i am just going around in circles.

Thanks
    Trunxson,

You may want to check out this Microsoft article on System Protection.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2012-11-18 at 11:25.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek

Please can you check the URL of that link...it doesnt seen to go anywhere as is directed to www.trunxson,.com ??

Thanks
    Trunxson,

Sorry about that, it has been fixed.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs