New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Rescue CDs will not run!

My recently rebuilt PC (M4A88T-V USB3 + AMD 965 4-core 8G RAM Win 7) has decided to stop working - boot s through BIOS, the Windows splash screen comes up the four blobs unite . . . and then nothing

Ran MemTest for a couple of hours - no problems, all four cores OK all 8 G OK

Decided that maybe it had a virus, downloaded Kaspersky Rescue CD, loaded it on to a memory stick, amended the boot up sequence to put the USB stick top of the list, loaded it up, and it got as far as starting to download latest virus definitions, rebooted, and then hung. Re-started, and it hung before getting as far as downloading virus definitions. Now it will go as far as opening its menu, and then hangs

Thought that maybe I should try F-Secure. Read the article on putting the definitions on a memory stick, so started F-Secure Rescue Disc from a CD, with updated data on the memory stick. Loaded, found the memory stick, restarted, and then hangs.

The more times I try the less far I get!

So - I have 8G of RAM that passes MEMTEST fast and clean, BUT will not even run a Rescue CD:

Any suggestions?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a shot in the dark, but I have been experiencing the exact same thing. I did the same thing, rescue CD's, memtests, Windows 7 install disk to do a repair. In my situation it ended up being low voltage to my CPU. I manually set the CPU voltage to 1.1v and my system boots every time. I can set it to 1.0 and still fine, but the moment I set the setting to auto it does exactly what you describe. Why? When I tore apart my system (P7P55D Deluxe) I noticed a waxy thick liquid coming from under one of the heat sinks around the CPU. Manufacturer supported that it may be a voltage regulator gone bad; hence then the low voltage instead of adding voltage when needed.

Again, this is a shot in the dark but what you describe going on with your system appears exactly the same as what I was going through. This may not be the answer, but an option. Just a suggestion to look at and test.
    "Every Thing Changes but Change Itself"

[Core I7 6700][Asus Maximus VIII Hero][8GB G.Skill memory][Asus GTX 980Ti Strix][1 x 512GB Samsung 950 Pro][850W Seasonic PSU][Antec 900][Windows 10 Professional, 64-bit][2 x Asus PG278Q]

[Core I5 2500k][Asus P8P67 Pro (ver 3.1)][8GB Corsair memory][Asus ENGT430][1 x 90GB Corsair GT SSD][650W Corsair PSU][Thermaltake DH-202][Windows 7 Home, 64-bit][65" Panasonic Plasma T.V.]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that - I will try that tomorrow morning - it is just the sort of thing that I was looking for

Cheers
    Peter

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Shame - didn't work! Looked just like the sort of thing that might have happened.
    Now I think I will have to just try substituting - I have an older 955, so I will plug that in to see whether it makes a difference, and after that I suppose it will have to be a new motherboard(?), or a new PSU - since the RAM appears to be good

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I am not sure the RAM is good. I would probably try removing some RAM and see if the problem persisted, even change RAM sticks. If that didn't work, would probably try PSU afterwards.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK - thanks for that thought - will try working on the RAM

New Lounger
    Thanks

It now works! but . . .

Bought new RAM - made no difference.

Took thought, so disconnected all external devices - no difference

Removed supplementary boards (USB & FW800) - IT WORKED!

Thought I had solved it, so replaced the USB board - still worked

Replaced the FW800 board (of which I had had suspicions) - and it still worked

So now I am back to the configuration that failed, and it is still working

I give in, give thanks for small mercies, and know that next time . . .

Thanks
    I suspect there was some contamination in a connector somewhere that unplugging and plugging back in rubbed off the offending connector to allow contact to be made.

I worked for many years T/S complex electronics in the aerospace industry. We sometimes had these same type failures even on systems costing millions of dollars. In the past I have pulled all devices out of a desktop PC, and used a pencil eraser, then light alcohol rub to clean connectors. A good internal cleaning is always a good thing as well. Check all the fans for proper use. If a fan is running slowly or there is dirt around devices, heat can build up and cause some pretty strange failures up to and including total failure of a device. Keep it clean!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy