Thread: Windows 8 vs.

Thanks

Windows 8 vs.

I live in a gated community, and this coming Saturday the 7th, the computer club here has invited an associate from the Microsoft Store in Scottsdale to come talk to them about Windows 8. The HOA is considering replacing a couple of computers and installing Windows 8.
    This community is age restricted, to over 55. I think you can figure out where I am going with that statement, so I'll stop right there.....LOL!. IMHO I don't think Windows 8 should be purchased, on machines that are using a mouse. If the machines are touch then by all means.
    I would like to hear the opinions of some of you more experienced Windows 8 users.

Thanks
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    I wouldn't worry too much about buying new non touch computers with Windows 8 on them. The start screen with it's larger icons is probably easier on old eyes. Customizations I would use:
    Install Classic shell to install a button on the desktop so users have a visual target and don't have to hunt for the hot spot
    Set it to open the start screen with a left click
    Set it to boot to the desktop
    Set it to disable the hot spots

Pin the most useful programs to the desktop task bar (IE, Word, etc)
    Reorganize the start screen so the desktop is in the upper left and the most useful programs near the front.
    If you're ambitious, organize the start screen into groups (Games, Utilities, etc)

With that and a little training, I think the over 55 crowd will do fine with Windows 8

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 1,061 Posts
    Windows 8 works fine without touch. I use it with the mouse without any issues. I wouldn't go back to 7, or buy any computer running 7 without upgrading to 8. With the changes suggested by Jerry, everything should be smooth.

Thanks
    My PCs work great with our keyboards and mice, no touch here as well.

Instead of disabling hot spots, I would consider hiding the Charms bar. (Post #9 in this thread shows how). This keeps Charms easily available, although Win + C will also open Charms. Check out the whole thread for some very easy customizations.

I'm with Rui here as well. Although I did make final Images of out Win 7 OSs, I will never go back. I like many of the features of Win 8 too much. Plus I do like the Rapid Boot using Hybrid Hibernation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I think it depends on:

1) Are there other computers running Win 7 in the HOA? Despite what the previous posts say about hammering Win8 into compliance with a more Win 7-like experience, there are still differences that may cause headaches like unexpected program associations that take you to a full screen app and program updates like Chrome that all of a sudden just start using the Metro U.I. by default. Also, some real estate and maybe homeowners' associations (?) require some very specific programs so a compatibility check before going ahead on anything like that is a must.

2) What the specific tasks of these computers are going to be. Might there ever be a need or use for full screen apps similar to those on a smart phone?

3) Finally, running concurrent to 1, how many folks would be able to use or authorized to use these computers and how competent are they? If just a couple and they're on the ball, they will probably easily be able to recover from any odd error or cross-over. If it's many, and there isn't a goto IT person around, somebody is going to try something and end up on another screen which may cause a lot of confusion. Of course a bonehead could just as easily mess up Win 7 but there's even more to get confused about with Win 8.

Everything mentioned to customize Win 8 is ready to go in Win 7 so if you don't want any hassles at all, that's the way to go. If there's only a couple of authorized users and at least one of them is a bright bulb, they'll figure out Win 8; and scrunch it up to behave like Win 7 if need be.

Thanks
    I've had to install several PC's for my 'older' customers over the past two months.
    Several live in those age restricted communities.

Like others of my age (69) I don't like change, just for the sake of change.
    So I install the "Classic Shell" for my old folks, with either Win7 or 8 and they love it.

They can start using their computer immediately without having to go through an extensive
    learning curve. Most of them have either health problems or family problems and they don't
    need Computer problems as well. I do everything humanly possible to ease their transition to
    a new OS.

END:

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Thanks all for the input
    F.U.N. here are some answers to your questions:
    1: It is my understanding that the computers to be replaced are those for use by the residents and not those actually used by the H.O.A.
    2: Mostly checking e-mail, writing letters etc. General computer stuff
    3: Every resident/guest is allowed use of these computers. How many? holy crap Batman I have no idea, but it would be a lot!....LOL
    3A: I have a feeling that that is exactly what will happen, and then the question becomes why even spend the monies..

Thanks Again All
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    With a couple of minor customizations, most of the residents will have no idea anything changed. The PCs will be more secure, and faster, but will look and feel the same as Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What are the feelings of whoever will be assisting the users when they run into problems, and putting things right if a user makes an unwanted configuration change? It could be a major concern if the support crew haven't got in-depth knowledge and confidence with Win8.

Thanks
    By setting up the accounts that are accessible by the residents as Limited Accounts, you would prevent the sort of changes that would cause these type problems. That's what the limited account is for. It allows surfing, emailing, but prevents installing/uninstalling and configuration changes.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted