Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 sales 'well below' projections

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57...report-claims/

Roger Kay, principal analyst at EndPoint Technologies, agrees. "The split between the Windows 8 Pro and RT versions makes the positioning of Windows 8 difficult," Kay said to CNET on Friday.

Kay continued: "The new touch interface is really fantastic for the high-mobility market, like tablets. But turn the whole world upside down for a few tablets?"

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's the link to Paul Thurrott's original article which IMHO is well worth a read:
    http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/wi...lame-go-around

Thanks
    I'm not a Thurrott fan but his "Microsoft’s new whatever-the-F-it-is operating system is a confusing, Frankenstein’s monster mix of old and new that hides a great desktop upgrade under a crazy Metro front-end." comment is right on.

Jerry

Thanks
    I would think that getting Surface Pro to market at the same time or before Surface RT would have been the preferable alternative. I believe however there were technical and hardware difficulties with this and the decision for an October release of Win 8 and Surface RT were more a "We need these for the Christmas season". I also believe many are waiting for Surface Pro before updating hardware. I would think Surface Pro would be much more desirable to business users.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Windows RT tablets suffer from high memory usage that makes the entry level units unusable.
    http://www.tweaktown.com/news/26788/...ity/index.html

The Pro version will be worse in that regard. I suspect that that will mean a usable pro tablet will be expensive to the point that a convertible or light weight Ultarbook will make more sense than a Surface Pro.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Or the aforementioned "hot mess of U.I." fits well too. To miss on the compelling mobile product it was designed for, especially price-wise and as mentioned, in this economy, is not going to garner any momentum at all for an interface designed for what almost no one has.
    It would be a different story maybe if there was a product that changed the landscape so to speak, like the first Apple iPhone did.

Thanks
    That is entirely possible. It appears the largest SSD in the Surface Pro will be 128 Gb and 4 Gb Ram. These do seem a little light. They will work for most uses, but I am accustomed to my 8 Gb Ram. Plus 128 Gb SSD will not have a lot of empty space.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I would think Surface Pro would be much more desirable to business users.
    Sure, but not if it isn't somewhere in the ballpark for cost effectiveness and fills a large enough niche that say, a good old laptop can't.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My Windows 7 computer has about 145GB of used space. I could probably clean that up, but I don't want my computer to require me to do homework to be usable. The partition has about 175GB of Free space, and when that is used up, I will get a bigger hard drive. My Windows 8 computer is Evaluation only, but it still has 55GB of used space and 265 GB of Free space.

A computer (or computer like toy) with only 32GB of storage is pathetic and useless. 64GB still does not give you a usable system, and 128GB will require homework to keep it functional. A real computer needs at least 256GB of storage.

I hope Andrew Sokolowski has his law suit thrown out of court, and he has to pay all court costs and all of Microsoft's legal expenses, and gets boils on his butt. Having said that, he's right about 32GB being inadequate for any conceivable purpose.

Thanks
    Since an Apple Ipad runs perfectly fine with 16gigs, it was perfectly reasonable to expect a Surface with 32 gig to function fine as well. Unfortunately that's not the case. Similar to the underpowered Vista PCs that were sold. I would be surprised if the case was thrown out.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Windows RT tablets suffer from high memory usage that makes the entry level units unusable.
    http://www.tweaktown.com/news/26788/...ity/index.html

The Pro version will be worse in that regard. I suspect that that will mean a usable pro tablet will be expensive to the point that a convertible or light weight Ultarbook will make more sense than a Surface Pro.

Jerry
    I don't get what you mean, Jerry. The lawsuit is ridiculous, he's claiming he should get 32 GB free on the disk, which no manufacturer offers, as the OS always takes some space. The lawsuit is about having just around 16GB free space, not about performance, as I understand it.
    I read nothing about issues related to "high memory usage". Can you clarify?

Thanks
    This is when he discovered that only 16GB of the 32GB claimed was available for use
    Read more at http://www.tweaktown.com/news/26788/...gZJpRRbAT90.99
    The main issue is that the Surface has very little memory left for additional applications on a 32 gig Surface since it comes out of the factory with 16 gigs of memory already allocated. I know of no other tablet that uses that much memory out of the box. My 16 gig Ipad has no such problems.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    It's not memory, really, Jerry. It's more available storage space, as we are talking SSD available storage. I really don't understand why you say that lead to performance issues, though?

Thanks
    You're right. I misspoke. It is storage but still leads to useability issues. I don't recall saying anything about performance, just usability although I have seen some reports of performance issues as well. Can't recall where right now.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    You said that tablets were unusable, I understood that as having performance issues. I am thinking the unusable comes from the lawsuit itself that claims that "half of the storage space is unusable". The latter is correct, but I saw no one claiming the 16 GB free made the tablet unusable. Doesn't leave you that much storage space, but I do think the "unusable" claim is really not applicable to the tablet.

I also do not understand how available storage space affects usability, unless it affects performance?!

The "unusable" classification when applied to the tablet even seems more inadequate, as the tablets support microSD cards, so extra space can easily be added.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast