Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    ...I have seen some reports of performance issues as well. Can't recall where right now.
    Googling for microsoft surface sluggish pulls up numerous references to the problem.

EDIT:
    While looking down that list I found this rather less than positive review of the Surface:
    http://www.slate.com/articles/techno..._the_ipad.html
    Last edited by John259; 2012-11-17 at 13:49.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    One thing I've noticed that makes my Win8 install sluggish as well is Internet connection bandwidth and network use. We only get about 1 megabit/second down and if there's as few as two other computers interacting with the Internet on the same connection it has a very noticeable affect on speed whereas its only slightly noticeable on the other systems. Even more, if I'm downloading with a desktop application (Chrome browser), the start screen apps become practically unresponsive, such as trying to use the Microsoft store app...comes back after a couple of minutes of churning and says I don't have an Internet connection; so its as if the Internet resource sharing algorithms are not very good.

Thanks
    Putting a full Windows 8 version on a tablet wouldn't make much sense. You'd have to be a complete moron to do so in the first place.
    Windows 8 with the desktop version is meant for desktops, laptops, and more potent ultrabooks, not tablets.
    The decision to put a desktop version of Windows 8 on a tablet is a bad one. One I feared MS would do. They have effectively shot
    themselves in the foot with that move.

As for the sluggish sales, I can easily see how it can be confusing to the average consumer.
    Besides all of version confusion, the MS app store is long way off from being ready.
    IMO they should have kept the OS under wraps for another year prior to beta testing, and spent more time developing the apps & app store.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Joe S (2012-11-17)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint
    My thoughts exactly about Windows 8 being rushed out before things were ready to go. They should have had some really well crafted apps during the beta testing instead of the junk they offered.
    Joe

Thanks
    Putting a full Windows 8 version on a tablet wouldn't make much sense.
    Putting a tablet/phone interface on a desktop doesn't make sense to me either.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John259 View Post
    Googling for microsoft surface sluggish pulls up numerous references to the problem.

EDIT:
    While looking down that list I found this rather less than positive review of the Surface:
    http://www.slate.com/articles/techno..._the_ipad.html
    The point being? I can find one good review for any bad one you find ...

The real issue that I addressed is that the statement made initially that the Surface is unusable is baseless. I haven't found a single review saying that and the lawsuit is ridiculous. All tablets, all computers, including those from Apple do not offer the full nominal storage capacity free to use. The OS and often other stuff take some of that storage.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    The point being?
    The point being that review confirms that Surface is sluggish.

We'd moved on from the irrelevant diversion of that silly lawsuit.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John259 View Post
    The point being that review confirms that Surface is sluggish.

We'd moved on from the irrelevant diversion of that silly lawsuit.
    Really? One negative review? I think you using one negative review and drawing sweeping conclusions from it, proves a completely different point.

P.S: Discussion moves where a poster, any poster, wants it to move.

P.S.2: Ed Bott's take on that bad review: http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2012/11/why-is-this-surface-review-so-godawful/

P
    .S.3: Hal Berenson's (as always) thoughtful comments on Surface and performance: http://hal2020.com/2012/11/06/performance-of-the-microsoft-surface-and-windows-rt/

P
    .S.4: "Your" article does suggest that Surface is half a second sluggish! OMG, half a second of sluggishness! I wonder if it was measured with scientific precision!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    With Sinofsky Gone, Start Menu Could Return to Windows 8
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Sta...ock,19161.html

Just speculation at this point, but Microsoft may pull back from the madness

The Windows division reportedly announced declining sales in the company's first fiscal 2013 quarter (which ended September 30), and Ballmer is likely not happy with what he's currently seeing six weeks into the new quarter (and two weeks into Windows 8's release).

That said, there's a good chance Ballmer and the Windows team are considering a resurrection of the Start menu. "Clearly, if the product isn't doing well, they could come up with a service pack that restores the Start Menu," Hilwa says. "There's a whole bunch of smaller decisions that could make the product easier to use with a mouse. They may have to dial the needle down enough to bring enterprises on board."

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're right. I misspoke. It is storage but still leads to useability issues. I don't recall saying anything about performance, just usability although I have seen some reports of performance issues as well. Can't recall where right now.

Jerry
    Everything, and I mean everything I have read about the so-called performance limitations, as well as the limitations of the storage have been entirely anecdotal.
    Chuck

Thanks
    It is somewhat hard to drop back to 128Gb SSD. This is on the small side, even for SSD's. Since I am presently using a platter drive, the so called performance limitations would most likely seem very speedy to me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Ted,

"On the small side"? Well that depends on what you put there. I put a 128GB SSD in my laptop which I dual boot with 2 copies of Win 7 HP-SP-1 one copy has Office 2010 Pro and the other Office 2003 Pro and even after loading my data partition {24.8GB - 11.8GB Used} I still have plenty of space. Of course, I don't have any videos or music on the drive permanently. YMMV!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I would prefer seeing a 256 Gb SSD. But then again, depending on finances it may be a while before a tablet graces my home.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Putting a tablet/phone interface on a desktop doesn't make sense to me either.

Jerry
    Desktop Windows 8
    You can think of the Metro or Modern UI start screen on the desktop as an extended logon screen complete with it's own separate API.
    It works nicely and it does make sense as an interface to integrate your phone and tablet on for a whole variety of apps that a tablet or phone would use.

What doesn't make sense is putting a full OS like Windows 8 pro on a tablet. The hardware is not up to the challenge, and the OS is still
    too bloated, especially on a 32 GB drive. It's just plain wrong to have half the space on that drive taken up by the OS.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    We'll have to agree to disagree there Clint. I don't think the Chromeless GUI of Metro works well or looks good on the desktop. It works best with a task bar and multiple active Windows. I spend zero time in Metro. I agree with you on putting the full OS on tablets. If Microsoft would have put only Metro on the tablets and only the Desktop on Desktops, they might have had a real winner. As it is I've got a bunch of unused code on the desktop and tablets have half thier space wasted on th OS. as you pointed out.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast