Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Microsoft's own internal estimation don't mean anything to anyone other than to those at Microsoft making such estimations.
    To anyone else it's basically meaningless information.

40 million is too great an amount in such a short timeframe to be called a failure.
    I'm sure the modest price tag is a big factor, as I believe it's needed, at least in the beginning as an incentive
    for adaptation.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    See this further comment from Paul Thurrott - Dialing back the crazy on Windows 8
    My, my: Paul must be getting a LOT of grief for that original article of his to be doing such a blatant Mitt-Romney-style back-pedal/rewrite.

For the record, even the title of that original article indicated that Win8 sales were "WELL (emphasis added) below projections" - to the point where 'blame' was being assigned. Within the article, while he quoted a Microsoft source as characterizing the launch volume as 'disappointing' Paul himself was the one who referred to its 'weak start' and who concluded with the ominous observation "Windows 8 is no Vista, in many ways. Until it is."

No one who read that should be blamed for concluding that Paul thought that something of significantly more import than merely missing an early internal sales target was going on here. His attempt to characterize such people as 'internet crazies' appears to be essentially a CYA effort unless the majority really were claiming that he was announcing The End Of Microsoft (especially since he, after all, was the one who noted some similarities with the Vista launch).

Life increasingly seems to be imitating politics these days, with all the concommitant deterioration in reality-based discussion in favor of existing personal bias and self-interest. Was Steve Jobs' powerful reality-distortion field released unrestrained upon the world when he died?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by - bill View Post
    For the record, even the title of that original article indicated that Win8 sales were "WELL (emphasis added) below projections" - to the point where 'blame' was being assigned. Within the article, while he quoted a Microsoft source as characterizing the launch volume as 'disappointing' Paul himself was the one who referred to its 'weak start' and who concluded with the ominous observation "Windows 8 is no Vista, in many ways. Until it is."

No one who read that should be blamed for concluding that Paul thought that something of significantly more import than merely missing an early internal sales target was going on here. His attempt to characterize such people as 'internet crazies' appears to be essentially a CYA effort unless the majority really were claiming that he was announcing The End Of Microsoft (especially since he, after all, was the one who noted some similarities with the Vista launch).
    I agree with your comments here; but I think he revised his as soon as he heard the much more encouraging sales figures for the first month, because he didn't want to be wrong.

Bruce

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    This should really teach Thurrott about the risks of using a single source and going internet crazy on the information obtained from such a source. It is also instructive, for the rest of us, to realize how a single guy can unleash a veritable flood of posts, opinions and FUD based on a single source. That says a lot about how things spread on the internet and how the tech blogosphere / journalism seems to live in a bit of closed loop.

Lately, Thurrott has been rather rambling on his opinions on Microsoft's technologies, sometimes appearing to take very contradictory positions. I have lost some interest on what he writes, tbh.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 8 launches... and PC sales drop 21 percent. Hmm
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7...1-percent-hmm/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It seem that you can find what ever you want when it comes to the sales and popularity of Windows 8 http://news.yahoo.com/windows-8-adop...203323857.html I think there needs to be more time to judge this honestly. With the timing of Windows 7 even cheap PCs were quite adequet for many people doing simple things who use it as simply a tool for the internet, edit photo's, Cds or DVDs burning. They aren't so apt to run out and replace it with something new if their present one is adequet.
    Joe

Thanks
    I agree. All these reviews are very premature. As I said you can skewer statistics to suit your needs. It is just too early to say one way or the other. Plus, right now the economy is a bigger factor than when Win 7 was released. Right now the "Financial Cliff" is looming on Dec 30th in the US economy and will require efforts from both the president and congress to solve. If they do not, the tax ramifications on Jan. 1st could really strap the middle income and small businesses in the US. These considerations are definitely affecting new PC purchases.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

rlfvt (2012-12-01)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As the improvements to PC have slowed the past few years and with Windows 7 the release a lot of people see no need to upgrade. It used to be in a year or so there were lots of hardware improvements. Now some of the speed increases are ony seen by hardcore gamers and power users.
    Joe

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345