Thanked 1,390 Times in 1,218 Posts

Perceptions on Windows 8, Windows Phone 8 and Surface

A very interesting article from Hal Berenson:

God forbid should Win 8 and Win 8 products catch on. The naysayers are gonna have to work harder to find their fodder. I have said right along that the iPad seems more a play thing than a real work PC. So far I kind of have the same opinion of Surface RT. Now mind you these opinions have formed without trying either, but if others can condemn Win 8 without laying hands on it, then I guess I can do something similar.

My biggest complaint against anything Apple is the lack of customization and so I will not be trying the iPad. As far as the Surface, I will await the Pro model to consider this tablet. I realize the pricing of Surface might put it in the same group as an Ultrabook or some such, but the form factor is smaller. It appears this is what is making tablets popular. When the time comes (and the finances allow it) I will have to research what I might do.
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Well that's one good experience but a sample does not make and the real persons that need to be convinced are the ones with their hands on the purse strings. Leo LaPorte liked it but we'll see now when he gets back from his trip if its still on his good side. All the other "tech device junkies" I know of have tried it and returned it, reasons; sluggishness, cost, immaturity of apps. One bright point was that they all said the fit and finish of the device itself was top notch. So four does not a sample make either but its trending.
    I guess awareness by one kid is better than oblivious but give me something I can sink my teeth into!

California & Arizona
    I'd think I'd hold out a bit longer for apps to mature before taking a real look at a Windows 8 RT tablet.
    Microsoft should have been more aggressive when it came to ensuring app readiness.
    I'm also a little disappointed that there is no 3 or 4G service on the Surface RT tablet.
    Maybe one of the OEM's will include it. Right now I'll stick with the iPad a bit longer.
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.