2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Adding programs to Startup

I ahve some standalone (think portable programs which are not installed as such) which I wish to start with Windows. In XP one could just make a shortcut and drag and drop on the Startup item in the Start Menu but this does not seem to work for me. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Thanks

Thanks
    Open Windows Explorer. Go to User, user name, app data, roaming, Microsoft, Windows, Start Menu, Programs, Start up. This is the actual Start Up folder. Try dragging the shortcuts to this folder.

Just remember any app loaded at Windows start will consume system resources and slow your boot times.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm sorry abaoaut my careless post. One cannot drop items on to the Start Menu - I meant the Startup item in the Users folder. I have done this and whereas in XP that program would then run at start up and become an icon in the System Tray, the programs I added appear as an item at the top of the first Start Menu. They do not run automatically but I can click on them in the normal way.

Surely there must be a way to have a program run automatically at at start up if the program does not have a setting to do this. I certainly did it frequently in XP. Any further thoughts from anyone.?

Thanks
    If you drill down to the folder I show in my previous post, I believe you can do this. I have added a batch file to that location and it runs at boot each time. Give it a try.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have done exactly that. If I open the file I can see the two shortcuts that I dropped there but they do not run. They merely appear at the top of the Start Menu.

Thanks
    This works for me. I do not have any idea why it will not work for you.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I have it now. I was just overcome by Microsoft's successful efforts to make everything more and more difficult. I had dropped the shortcuts on
    .... Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu and that's where they ended up - on the Start Menu. I have now moved them to
    .... MIcrosoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs/Startup and hopefully they will now start up as they should.

Thank you for your patience. It has been a long learning curve and I agree with the cartoon with the caption "The computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with the new software."

Since you seem to know your way around this labyrinth that is Win 7, do you know where there is the equivalent of
    C:\Documents & Settings\User name\Start Menu\Programs that was so useful in XP as it allowed you to directly modify the expanded Start Menu. I miss the old menu desperately and cannot find a way of modifying the long list that I have now in a way that I can categorise and group programs.

Thanks
    I believe the folder you described in your post is what you are looking for. Where you place the shortcuts and they were added to the Stat Menu, not the Startup folder.

"Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu and that's where they ended up - on the Start Menu. I have now moved them to" Just open the Programs folder. I believe this is what you need???
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was hoping that would be the case but I have about 30 programs installed at present and the ....Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder contains Accessories, Administrative Tools, Games, Maintenance, Startup, two copies of Internet Explorer and three (3) of my programs! So I am hardly able to organise a new menu here.

However I had a thought and instead of looking under my User Name I tried All Users and Bingo! there are all the programs. Presumably the 4 previous programs believed that they were running only for me, hence there location. When offered the choice during install I always say 'for all users' but either I was not offered the choice for these 4 or they never offered the choice. I will have a shot at rearranging this list and report back later.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    KenWa:I'm not sure this is what you want to do, but I run numerous portable apps, and rather than having them start up automatically when I boot up (and thus slow down my system's start time) what I do is: go to the folder containing the executable, and right click on the exe, and click on "pin to startup." With all I have there, I've clicked and held on and sorted them alphabetically (I'm a bit anal.) Hope this helps. BTW, I run W7 Home Premium. Dick