Edmonton, AB, Canada

IE9 not working any more

Good day to all.

My wife told me yesterday that Internet Explorer on her Win 7 (64-bit) machine isn't working anymore. Apparently, its been broken for a few days but she told me only yesterday.

Upon launching IE, a tab with her home page ( appears but the page itself is blank. The "wait" spinning wheel keeps on spinning but nothing happens. Opening additional tabs do the same thing. Closing the program is also broken - clicking on the close program "X" in the top right corner of the window does nothing. It appears as if the only way to terminate it is to use the task manager and kill one of the two IE processes that are running (the other process terminates when the first one is killed).

My wife likes going to free game websites - my first thought was that she might have picked up something to cause this problem. I have multiple paid licenses for Malwarebytes Anti-malware, so I installed and ran it. However, it says the machine is free from any malware.

My second thought was to go to Tools -> Internet Options to see what is happening - but all of those options under the Tools tab are greyed out.

Hmm, sez me. I wonder if I have a permissions issue.

Right-clicking on the IE shortcut on the desktop and selecting "Run as administrator" brings up IE in all its glory. Everything works correctly, including shutting it down. But I can't find out why it won't run without being in administrator mode.

While I had IE running with administrator privileges, I went to the tools tab and disabled all plugins except for Flash and Java. My wife goes to a lot of free games sites, so there were a few plugins that I didn't recognize. But no help.

I next un-installed IE9 by going to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> View installed updates, then scrolling down to the IE9 entry and telling it to un-install the update. I then went directly to the Microsoft website (using Chrome) and downloaded and re-installed the program. No help - IE doesn't run unless it is being run with administrative privileges.

For the time being, I've modified the shortcut by telling it to run IE in administrator mode (Rt-click the icon -> Properties -> Shortcut -> Advanced -> tick the box marked "Run as administrator")

However, I don't like that solution in the long term and my wife doesn't like it now - she has to answer a UAC prompt everytime she wants to run IE.

Her computer is set to automatically update when new updates are available and I'm wondering if any of the recent updates might be responsible for this problem.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Many thanks!

Last edited by DwayneR; 2012-11-18 at 23:23.

Dwayne, did you try to delete that shortcut and create a new shortcut. I have seen times where the shortcut itself becomes corrupted and just replacing it with a new shortcut fixes the problem.
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy