New Lounger
    Thanks

Talking Administrator account cannot access all files/folders

Hi,
    When I went to change the permissions and ownership of all files/folders on my G: drive (stand-alone partition), I was prevented from accessing some folders/files from the Administrator account. When I went to apply changes using the Properties->Security tab, I received a dialog message stating that I did not have access to such. I thought that the Administrator account was God-like in that it could apply permission changes across all file systems. I've also found that some files are restricted/owned by an account like S-2-1A-9274610829347... which has ? marks around it's name. I have been successful in adding my user id with permissions and deleting that unknown user from the Security tab, but, not with all files.

How can I set the ownership and permissions across all drives/folders/files on my G: drive to a specified user account, mine, not just the Administrator account? Do I have a virus on my computer that would prevent the Administrator account from having full access to all drives/folders/files?

Thanks for all insight and help in resolving this problem.

badbigdad

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    You may need to run Explorer as an Administrator to overcome such difficulties (right click the app icon and choose Run as Administrator).
    Alternatively, you can use TakeOwnership.

This is normal Windows behavior.

Thanks
    Grant Full Admin Control is kind of like Take Ownership on steroids.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy