Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Zombie display objects

Sometimes when I pop up a menu on an app, or similar, some of the parts of the menu don't go away. They stay there forever, on top of all other screens. Closing the app doesn't get rid of them. I have to log out or reboot to get rid of them.

Is there an easier way to get rid of them? Or better yet prevent them from happening?

I'm on Windows 7 but I think this happened on Vista too.

Thanks
    HI Gary, you need to update your display drivers or right click empty space on the screen then click refresh.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner, Refresh doesn't seem to do ANYthing. It definitely doesn't kill the zombie.

This is an HP dv7-6199us laptop. I went to the HP site and ran their "scan and tell me what needs updating" utility. It didn't say anything about updating the display driver.

The HP site lists two different "graphics" drivers -- no "display" driver -- which are:
    Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver, 2012-04-12, Version: 8.15.10.2476
    AMD High-Definition Graphics Driver, 2011-11-18, Version: 8.882.2.3000

System Information -> Components -> Display shows two display adapters (Intel HD Graphics Family and Radeon HD 6770M). Both of them use the same driver, atikmpag.sys v. 8.14.1.6226, 9/30/2011.

Since the HP scanner utility says nothing needs to be updated, should I? And how do the two drivers on the website correspond to the atikmpag.sys driver for both display adapters?

Thanks
    You will need to look in 'Device Manager' to see whats installed. Make an Image and post it.docx

Untitled.jpg

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Device Manager says both display devices are using the AMD driver -- the current version on HP's website. (Why doesn't that match what System Information says!?)

The Images button won't insert my image into my message for some reason, so it's attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by garyfritz; 2012-11-20 at 10:00.

Thanks
    you, as far as i'm aware, should only have one display adapter in use. Try disabling them one at a time and open a few applications to see if anything looks different.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have two displays -- the laptop's internal monitor and an external Acer monitor. (The laptop actually has two external ports, VGA and HDMI.) Probably the two adapters correspond to those two displays? I'd rather not start disabling them if they're really in use.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You should go to the AMD site and get the most current Windows 7 drivers from there for your graphics card.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You'd recommend using a newer driver than the manufacturer (HP) recommends?

What driver do I use? The driver info above says it's an AMD device but I have no idea what the device is. It's apparently embedded in both the Intel and NVIDIA display adapters but I don't know what it is.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Per your first post - Radeon HD 6770M. Be sure to read what AMD says. Sometimes, for notebooks OEMs recommend that the vendor specific (HP) drivers be used.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I went to http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...b_win7-64.aspx and their Driver Verification Tool said it "cannot be downloaded due to incompatible hardware/software on your computer. The version of your graphics adapter is not supported. Please contact your notebook manufacturer for a graphics driver update."

And the manufacturer (HP) says the current AMD driver is 8.882.2.3000. Which is what I already have.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sorry, but unless you can get something from HP you are out of luck. You might try contacting HP support.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So it's definitely a display-driver problem? I always assumed it was the fault of the application.

Thanks
    It's hard to be positive that it is the graphics card, but that is a good possibility.

Can you temporarily disable the Intel adapter? Since both adapters listed are the same driver I suppose it's possible they are interacting inappropriately. Disabling one temporarily might give a clue.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It indeed can be an application that is misbehaving. If you can isolate the activity and be able to associate it only happening when you have such and such running then that is what is causing it. If it happens right away after boot or restart, it could still be something in your startup programs causing it but its just as likely a graphics issue.

We sometimes use Avant browser for some activities and once in a while it hiccups and menus hang and portions of windows beneath the front one will show through here and there and they won't switch to the front properly. We know its Avant because when the process is ended in the task manager, the problem goes away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast