Lounger
    Thanks

completely reset footer in Word 2010

I have two very long files. 366 pages = 96 chapters.
    I successfully made a footer that shows the page number and the current chapter number.
    I did this using quick parts, using STYLEREF .

The other file: 225 pages 96 chapters got messed up.
    The page numbers are OK.

The chapter numbers are usually not OK. Sometimes correct but more often the same chapter number continues for several chapters. Eventually, after half the file everything straightens out and works well until the end.

I periodically try to fix the problem with no success. It would seem that there is a hidden function on each page telling quick parts whether to continue or to change chapter numbers. This hidden function (if I am correct) is causing the problem.

I have tried many things except I am not willing to retype the whole thing again.

Any ideas out there?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I understand what you are doing, you're using a Styleref field to show the chapter number on each footer. You're drawing the chapter number from a Heading style, I'd assume.

Things to check:

1) whether the chapter headings you are relying on actually ARE in the style you are referring to
    2) whether you have tracked changes in the doc, which will mess up the numbering

To check the second possibility, save a copy of the file and accept all changes, then update the document fields. If the footers now look right, that was the problem and you just have to ignore it until you are done with tracked changes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jweissmn1 For This Useful Post:

Michael Unger (2012-11-20)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your reply.
    1. I will check the style of each chapter.
    2. How does one update document fields? (I do not track changes intentionally. Instead, each major change I save a copy in a new folder.)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear jweissmn1,

Thank you again for your suggestions.
    When I started checking the style of my chapter headings I found several of them that caused problems, including several places that should NOT have been in that style but somehow were. After correcting the entire document and saving a copy and accepting all changes, the footer is now, thankfully (and thanks to you), truthful.

On the other hand, I wanted the chapter name to appear in the footer each page until the chapter changes and, alas, it only does that part of the document, bringing me back to the original question: what is it about the "quick parts" that prevents repeating the chapter name until a new one appears.
    Last edited by Michael Unger; 2012-11-20 at 14:52. Reason: I got her name wrong

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To update fields in the main body of the text, select it all and press F9. If what you want is in a footer, the easiest way to do it is to select the field and press F9. I have a macro someplace that updates all fields everywhere.

For your second question, I pretty sure there is something else going on. There's nothing inherent in quick parts that would do what you say. You could try inserting the same quick part in all sections.

- Jessica

Thanks
    Michael,

Click in the footer in each section and make certain you don't have "Different First Page" checked on the Ribbon. If you do, uncheck it. This may make the Chapter heading disappear. If it does, reinsert the quick part.

Best,
    Kim

Lounger
    Thanks
    Kim:

Well, I had also suspected that "Different First Page" makes a difference here, although the other word file is just fine with "Different First Page" checked.
    However, I just spent 15 minutes trying to do as you suggested with no real solution. The second page of each chapter is still without chapter number until the new chapter arrives.

I have wondered in the past about something similar that I can't get to. I have grayed out "Link to Previous" and I think if I could get to it I could make a significant change that would fix everything. Does anyone know what to get to "Link to Previous"?

Thank you for your idea!
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by kmurdock View Post
    Michael,

Click in the footer in each section and make certain you don't have "Different First Page" checked on the Ribbon. If you do, uncheck it. This may make the Chapter heading disappear. If it does, reinsert the quick part.

Best,
    Kim

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Link to Previous is grayed out when you are in the first section (there is no previous) but is generally available otherwise.

The problem with your header sounds like you have continuous section breaks sitting around. Can you post an cut-down example document for us to look at to work out what the problem is?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks
    Example.jpg
    Well, here it is. (It is a modern rendition of an actual 600 year old text on dietary laws.)
    The file is written in a foreign semitic language (guess which...) right-to-left.
    As you can see I am no novice to word. And you are correct that there are lots of section breaks.
    As you can see some pages have page numbers, some also have chapter numbers. But mostly irregular.
    Thank you for your interest.
    Michael
    Last edited by Michael Unger; 2012-11-22 at 01:04. Reason: mispelled

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sorry, but I don't have any experience in languages that work right to left. I have no idea on how that interacts with the StyleRef entries in a footer.

My suggestion is to remove all section breaks and get the headers/footers the way you want them and THEN put back any section breaks that absolutely must be there. Generally section breaks are massively overused and each one brings in 3 headers and 3 footers. If you page numbers are continuous and the styleref brings in the chapter name then there should be less reasons for needing lots of section breaks.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your answer.
    There seems to be no real problem caused by the language. I have another file with many fewer section breaks and the chapter numbers work fine with StyleRef.

So how do I remove a section break? Make everything continuous? Remove the bullets? I think I would remove S.B. 5 chapters at a time to see the problem fix itself.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Simply delete the section breaks is the easy answer. In practice this can be problematic if
    1. a section break is used in place of a paragraph mark - you will need to add a return
    2. the section break is continuous -in which case the preceding section break transforms itself into continuous

What is the purpose of the section breaks? Are they needed for a page setup or columns change? Are they needed for a header/footer change? If not, just remove them.