Thread: System Restore

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

System Restore

My wife's computer laptop runs Win7 64 bit. One of the first things we did when she got it was to shrink the single Windows partition and then create a second data partition. Because of some problems, she would like to re-install the OS. I've looked around the web and this forum, but haven't found a definitive answer to my question. Will re-setting the OS to factory settings erase the data partition and end up with only one partition again (not counting the recovery partition)? If I understand what I'm reading, this is done from a system image stored on the recovery partition (or repair disk). Also, I understand there is also a choice in the recovery process to re-install the OS rather than re-establish factory settings from a system image. Same question: will this re-establish the original single partition?
    Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yobil,

Are you talking about restoring from a factory "restore partition" or a "non-destructive Windows reinstall"???

Zig

Thanks
    The restoration should not touch the data partition. I have even left my data partition intact during OS Upgrades without a single lost bit. You just have to specify where to restore the partition. You will then have to change all the pointers to the location on the data partition using the approved method.

Could I make another suggestion. Look into Imaging for this chore. When you create an Image of the OS drive it actually includes all the changes you made from in the OS. For factory Images. I usually remove all the crapware the manufacturers get paid to include. I add customizations and all my installed apps. I then create an Image. The next time I have a problem such as yours, I can restore to the Image I created instead of the factory Image. This takes about 10 minutes. If you create new Images as things change on the OS (updates, installed/uninstalled apps, etc.) this is a real time saver. Use an Ext. HD for storing these Images

I would definitely make a complete backup of the data partition ahead of time. Just plug in an Ext HD and drag all the data to the Ext HD for safe keeping during the restoration.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, doing a recovery to factory settings will return the OS and drive to the same configuration as when it was sold. It won't necessarily erase the data but the partition will be gone if it was created later and any data would be difficult to recover if not impossible.

Only restoring from an image or installing from a disc that allows you to specify the partition to restore/install to will preserve the partition structure as it exists now.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2012-11-21 at 06:15.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Zig, Which ever one will get the job done with the least fuss. Preferably, the one that will preserve the data partition. I have not yet run the recover disk (or partition) to see what the menu choices are. From what I have read looking around the web, there are two choices: restore to factory (from an image) and re-install windows. I'm assuming that the latter would allow directing where (which partition) to re-install and, therefore, save the data partition. Am I correct?

Medico, I have also made lots of image backups. This time, my notes are incomplete and I can't tell exactly what was done before and after the backup. So, rather that re-install my problems, I'm just going to go back to the beginning and start over (keeping the data partition if possible). I do plan on backing up all data before doing anything.

F.U.N., Thanks. "Restoring to Factory Settings" does imply that all else will be wiped. Is there, in fact, a second choice to just re-install windows to the partition of my choice?

Thanks
    Restore to one of you earlier Images when everything was working, hopefully after you got rid of the crapware install by the manufacturer, and have your apps and customizations completed, before the PC became flaky.

The factory restore will not keep the partitioning. In this case backup everything on the data partition to a Ext. HD, do the restore, then repartition and put the data back, then change the pointers to the data on the OS. Longer process but it will work.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help. I'll let you know if I have any problems.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I also need to restore my 3 (?) year old desktop Gateway (Win 7, 64x) to factory settings as I have a problem whereby the computer randomly freezes or I get the "blue screen" and I have no system image prior to when the problem started (my bad!) I understand that Windows will then install all of the updates from the last three years sequentially, meaning wasting time installing early updates instead of just installing the service packs. Is there a faster and easier way to do this? (I will backup my data, browser profiles, and email profiles beforehand to an external HD but will need to reinstall all of my programs.)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Service Pack 1

@ronald11103
    Might be faster to download Service Pack 1 and install after recovery to factory settings.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/service-packs-download#sptabs=win7

Also, forum members have mentioned/used Decrapifier after recovery.
    http://download.cnet.com/PC-Decrapif...-10636481.html

Thanks
    You could download the Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 iso from here, burn it to a dvd and use that as your install disk with your valid product ID code.

Jerry