Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Making desktop web shortcuts display the website's icon

Since upgrading to a new computer and a new operating system none of my URL shortcuts show the correct icon. To say none is a bit misleading.. the one I made for this forum shows correctly.. well done.. can you share how you did this. Or better what to change in my Windows7.

Thank you for your time.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ralph,

FWIW, they're called "smarticons."

Zig

Thanks
    You could try an icon repair utility. I have a batch file that I use when something happen to icons. Copy the code, paste it to Notepad, then save it to your PC as RebuildIcons.bat or whatever. Click on the batch file to run it.

Code:
    @echo off
    cls
    echo The Explorer process must be killed to delete the Icon DB. 
    echo Please SAVE ALL OPEN WORK before continuing
    pause
    taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F 
    echo Attempting to delete Icon DB...
    If exist %userprofile%\AppData\Local\IconCache.db goto delID
    echo Previous Icon DB not found...trying to build a new one
    goto :main
    :delID
    cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
    del IconCache.db /a
    pause
    echo Icon DB has been successfully deleted
    goto main
    :main
    echo Windows 7 must be restarted to rebuild the Icon DB. 
    echo Restart now? (Y/N):
    set /p choice=
    If %choice% == y goto end
    echo Restart aborted...please close this window 
    explorer.exe
    :end
    shutdown /r /t 0
    exit
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Medico.

Your batch file works.. but for only one smarticon (thanks Zig). The one that it worked on is the one to my own website..
    The working smarticons (2 out of ~15) do not have a transparent background though.. The default SeaMonkey ones do

Thanks
    Many websites use favicon.ico in the same root that houses the index.html page. For example, Windows Secrets is www.windowssecrets.com/favicon.ico. You can create a folder in your user\Documents folder to store icons for your favorite shortcuts, and redirect the shortcut to find its icon there. Those will usually stay.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    FWIW, they're called "smarticons."
    What's the difference between a "smarticon" and a "favicon"? (I couldn't find "smarticon" in wikipedia.)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Many websites use favicon.ico in the same root that houses the index.html page. For example, Windows Secrets is www.windowssecrets.com/favicon.ico. You can create a folder in your user\Documents folder to store icons for your favorite shortcuts, and redirect the shortcut to find its icon there. Those will usually stay.
    Possibly that is why my favicon shows. But the bigger question that remains to be answered is WHY.. favicon's that worked just fine in XP, transparent backgrounds and all, do not work in Windows7. One would think that by now.. how many years later.. MS would have fixed this.. and about a dozen other things they broke. Instead they build Window8.. now there is a goofy desktop system if I ever saw one.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dg1261 View Post
    What's the difference between a "smarticon" and a "favicon"? (I couldn't find "smarticon" in wikipedia.)
    A favicon is just an image file renamed "favicon.ico". A smarticon is a snippet of code that creates the image when the page is loaded. If a site is using a smarticon, if you enter the base address in an iexplorer address bar with /favicon.ico tacked on, it will display the code for the smarticon, but not the image.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph2 View Post
    Possibly that is why my favicon shows. But the bigger question that remains to be answered is WHY.. favicon's that worked just fine in XP, transparent backgrounds and all, do not work in Windows7.
    Mine work fine in Windows 7, transparent backgrounds are transparent, but not in Windows 8.

Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A favicon is just an image file renamed "favicon.ico". A smarticon is a snippet of code that creates the image when the page is loaded.
    Ah, I see . . .

If a site is using a smarticon, if you enter the base address in an iexplorer address bar with /favicon.ico tacked on, it will display the code for the smarticon, but not the image.
    . . . and now I don't.

So you're saying that if I deliberately call the .ico I won't get it?

Where is this "snippet of code"? A google search for "smarticon" seems to be all over the map, mostly pointing to what appear to be one or another proprietary extension or application installed on the client computer. That implies it's not under the control of the webserver, but you said "if a site is using a smarticon" . . .
    Last edited by dg1261; 2012-11-22 at 17:29.

Thanks
    As in Windows Secrets Forums.

Click this link: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/favicon.ico

and you'll see a few lines of code.

Click on this link: http://windowssecrets.com/favicon.ico

And you'll see an icon.

Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not when I do it.. I just see garbage both times

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Click this link: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/favicon.ico

and you'll see a few lines of code.

Click on this link: http://windowssecrets.com/favicon.ico

And you'll see an icon.
    Hmm ... not really sure what I'm looking at.

With Firefox, both links result in garbage as though I'm looking at a binary file in a text editor.

With IE8, the second link displays a graphic image but the first link still shows garbage.

With Google Chrome, the second link also displays the image but the first link downloads a file, which gets saved on my hard drive as an image file.

Note that I never see "a few lines of code".

I've used favicons on my websites for years (but I'm not familiar with smarticons) and I know Firefox has no trouble with ordinary favicons, so the Firefox results above make me wonder if both links are in fact smarticons. But then again, the IE results treat them different, which suggests the second link may indeed be a graphic. So I'm confused ... and the Chrome results aren't helping.

Thanks
    Is this the "garbage" you see?

?@A)*+,-./012233456 !"#$%&'( ��������������������������������( @IzI�z�z�r�q�}Ɂ���������������������?NIb" #!#!#!#!#!IzI�z�z�r�q�}Ɂ������������������������O� �����������������IzI�z�z�r�q�}Ɂ������������������ɼ ����9������������������IzI�z�z�r�q�}Ɂ������������� �����ö����������������������IzI�z�z�s�r�{�}������� ����������h�x�L^XRd^Re^Re^Re^Re^Re^IzI�z�z�s�r�x�y �����������������!(%[HyH�z�z�t�t�r�r��������������ɼ�#O�O�z�z�t�t�p�o��ӛ ����������°�[�[�x�x�t�t�t�t�q�p��΂��ȵ�OW�� {�D_�_�x�x�t�t�t�t�t�t�s�n�c��N{��\���S���@i\�2xZ �Z�}�}�t�t�t�t�v�v�u�v�u�r�z�o�x�n�y�r�{�y�w�x�X�X �(D(�+H+�e�e�x�x�w�w�n�n�o�o�q�q�n�n�z�z�u�u�t�t�u �u�y�y�~�~�T�T�<l4W4�-L-�)� �GJG����� �<e<�u�u�u�u�t�t�t�t�b�b�k�k�R�R� EsE�i�i�8_8� �0*0�������Q�Q�z�z�w�w�w�w�S�S�f�f�e�e�DsD�}�}�u�u �]�]����� ��X�X�|�|�i�i�X�X�P�P�<e<�U ,rGxG�a�a�V�V�)D)��*G*�!8!w 8?��?��?��?��������������������������

And is this the icon you see?

I'm using IE10, by the way.

Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is this the "garbage" you see?
    Yes, in both FF and IE. (Not in Chrome, though--that browser just proceeds with a file download of what turns out to be an image file.)

Is that what you're calling "lines of code"? Is so, then okay, we're talking about the same thing. I was expecting you meant readable lines of programming code.

And is this the icon you see?
    Yes, in IE and Chrome. But FF (both old v3.6 and new v17.0) still displays "garbage" instead of an image icon. Not sure why, since FF has not trouble displaying favicons explicitly called from other sites (e.g., "microsoft.com/favicon.ico") or from my own sites (which I know to be genuine image files instead of scripts).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast