2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Restore image to new SSD?

With the falling prices, I've decided to replace my 120 gig SSD boot drive with a 256 gig. Must I do a fresh install of Win7Pro 64-bit, or may I simply restore the image I made back when I first installed Win7 on the 120 gig and it was fresh? If so, does this change if I also install a newer, faster CPU on the motherboard?

Thanks
    Don't restore the original Image. Instead create an Up To Date new Image. Make sure you create a boot disk. Personally I do not trust the Win 7 Backup and Restore tool for this chore.

I would choose one of the excellent 3rd party Imaging tools, create a Rescue Boot Disk and create a new Image. Pop the Rescue Disk in on the new SSD and attempt to restore to the new SSD.

If you have the ability to do so, connect both the old and new SSD's and use the Cloning feature of the 3rd party app. This is exactly what cloning is for, to make an exact copy of an old HD onto a new HD while keeping the old HD intact. This will also give you a backup drive if the new drive fails.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Auggie (2012-11-21)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I like the cloning option, mostly I've been going directly from "spinners" to SSDs but the concept is the same, if your current install is working great and you clone that to the larger SSD, shut down, swap out the smaller SSD for the larger one (you can also swap cables if they're both internal or change the boot priority in the BIOS to reflect the boot priority to the new drive), fire up and it should be as if nothing changed, except now you're operating from the larger drive.

I still use the free version of EaseUS TODO backup software for my cloning needs, works perfectly (I can clone just one partition from a large drive and make it the only partition on a SSD) but there are worthy alternatives.

A faster CPU on the same motherboard shouldn't cause any issues as long as its competently installed and is compatible with the motherboard.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

Auggie (2012-11-21)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can do either cloning or image restore. But once the clone has been completed you may have to resize the new SSD to to the full 240GB. (I am not sure with cloning but imaging will make new SSD the same size as the image i.e 120GB). Mini Tool Partition Wizard is very good for doing this as can move the front of the partition as well as the back
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to curiousclive For This Useful Post:

Auggie (2012-11-21)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    TODO and others will allow one to specify you want to use the entire drive as a single partition when cloning. Most won't if you specify sector by sector clone because that means exactly the same from old to new but most of the time a sector by sector clone is unnecessary. If it does show a partition boundary in the finalizing source-destination screen you can just pull the partition boundary to the full size of the new drive. ToDo just assumes you want to use the full size of the destination drive so no action is required.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

Auggie (2012-11-21)

Thanks
    Personally I use Acronis True Image 2013, but it is not free. There are several apps that will work wonderfully for this chore.

Acronis True Image 2013
    Macrium Reflect
    EaseUS ToDo
    Ghost v15 (???)
    ImgBurn

among others.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Auggie (2012-11-21)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The current Win7 install is almost a year old and starting to get a bit flaky, so I don't want to image it. Bit rot is the catalyst for making the move. Thanks for the tip about cloning; I was not aware of that.