Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question User can't open hyperlink to another doc in Word 2010

I've got an end-user (EU) in another site. Her PC is running Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1 and her Office suite is Professional Pro 32bit SP1. She put in a ticket yesterday that she can't open Word docs on a network share. The full story is that she can open individual docs, but the primary one - which is the Table of Contents - presents an error stating: The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect. Please contact your system administrator."

I remoted in and confirmed this action. Nothing in the Application, Security, or System logs. Ran GPUPDATE /FORCE -- no change. Ran GPResult /R from an elevated cmd prompt, but nothing struck me as THE problem.

I checked the Options under Word -> File, but nothing looked out of place. I found I can enter the path to a hyperlinked doc (under her credentials) into Explorer or Start -> Run and I can get to the doc fine; it's just the hyperlink action. The doc was created in 1999 and last modified in 2006. I did a Save As and then converted it to 2010 format, but got the same result.

I feel I'm missing something simple; what is it?
    Mike W.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you check her trust centre settings? In Word, go into File, Options, Trust Center, Trust Center Settings. Go through all the settings, ensure the correct paths are trusted, etc.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did. I added the network path as being Trusted. Closed Word, reoponed it and then the TOC -- same problem.
    Mike W.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You haven't explained where the hyperlink is that she can't follow. Is this a Word problem or a browser issue?

It might be resolved similarly to this http://www.slipstick.com/problems/th...-restrictions/
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Table of Contents is a Word document (.doc) located on a network drive. Each entry in the TOC hyperlinks to another document (all Word -.doc) located on that network drive in one of 12 folders. Internet Explorer doesn't play a role.
    Mike W.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    OK, firstly check the Document Properties>Summary>Hyperlink Base to see if there is anything there.

Also, you might try to find out what address the hyperlinks are trying to go to. Try a macro like this aircode on an entry in the TOC file to see what file path it is trying to follow.
    Sub ListHLs()
    Dim HL as Hyperlink
    For each HL in Selection.Hyperlinks
    msgbox HL.Address
    Next HL
    End Sub
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll check the user's document on Monday, after the holiday weekend; thanks!
    Mike W.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, Never worked with macros. I tried this, though:
    from an elevated cmd prompt -
    REG ADD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.htm /ve /d htmlfile /f
    REG ADD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.html /ve /d htmlfile /f
    REG ADD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.shtml /ve /d htmlfile /f
    REG ADD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.xht /ve /d htmlfile /f
    REG ADD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.xhtml /ve /d htmlfile /f

And make sure IE has been set as the default broswer.
    But that didn't work, either. The application log has several Office 14 Alerts for Word with the following:
    P1: 700798
    P2: 14.0.4763.1000
    P3: <userID>
    P4: 0x80070002

I wonder if updating her Office install. to SP1 would do the trick ... ?

(On a related note, the user states this has been happening ever since she got a new computer - a few weeks ago. Her old computer was running XP.)
    [Add'l info: I asked the user late today (26th) to have someone else login to her computer and then see if the hyperlinks in that network doc work - they do NOT. I checked the Local Security Policy and ran GPResults against her user acct and then the computer; didn't see anything that stood out.]
    Last edited by Mike68847; 2012-11-26 at 17:39. Reason: additional information
    Mike W.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I remoted in this morning and dug into the registry. Found in HKLM\Classes that .htm, .html, .shtml, .xhm, etc. were associated with "ChromeHtml" instead of "FileHtml", so I changed that. I also saw that the command key for html files was set to "<path>\iexplore.exe" -nohome; I thought IE8 and above were capitalized (IEXPLORE.EXE), so I changed it (saw one blog entry that mentioned doing this. Author said it worked but he didn't know why.
    I also used SysInternals Process Explorer and Process Monitor to watch what was happening as I clicked the link. Didn't see anything in Process Explorer, and - unfortunately - didn't see anything in Process Monitor, either -- despite spending 45 minutes searching it line-by-line from where I opened the file in WINWORD.EXE. Problem is still happening, so I'm going to apply Win7 SP1 x64, and Office 2010 SP1 32-bit and try again later today.
    Mike W.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, updates complete. Now here's the results:

1. I (with admin rights) can get the hyperlinks to work using my account.

2. The user, however, still gets the original error.

3. Another user logged in and got this error: "Cannot find the file specified." Found out that it's because she saved the file to the desktop and then tried to open it. Without Explorer open to that network drive, and without the drive being mapped, this makes sense.

Any ideas out there?
    Last edited by Mike68847; 2012-11-27 at 13:36. Reason: add'l info
    Mike W.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Her IE settings could be messed up. You could try to do a Reset on IE. Click Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, Reset. There's a warning there so you may want to create a restore point first, but it helped me out once.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yep, worth a try. I'm also goign to try the steps in this KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326518
    "Cannot open the specified file" error message when you click a hyperlink in Word
    Mike W.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just thinking out loud .... could the problem be related to the Default User profile having some problem? When a user logs in for the first time, that profile is used as a 'wrapper' for the user profile being created, right? If that makes sense, then maybe creating a new Default profile could 'fix' the problem.

(I realize I'm making a stretch here.)
    Mike W.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I got it solved! I don't know why it works but it does. I installed Google Chrome and made it the Default Browser. I then opened IE8 and made it the Default Browser. I then was able to get the Word hyperlinks working. Here's the post that had the info I used: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...1-2ae68b23ae4e
    Mike W.