Thanks

Disabling GPU software rendering in Windows 8

My first bit of real trouble in Windows 8 has seen multiple crashes & recoveries to the display driver, even some blue screens.
    So much so that I've had to revert back to the Windows 7 based driver just to run one program.

I think it has more to do with NVIDIA's immature Windows 8 driver release than it does with Windows 8 itself though.
    Windows 8 has been highly innovative with it's inclusion of a GPU based software rendering capability.

Here's the issue;
    Whenever I attempt to do photo editing in Windows Photo Gallery's I get serious sluggishness and constant reports
    of the display driver crashing and recovering. This only occurs when manipulating photo exposure, color, and other fine tuning details,
    never with the creation of panoramic photos or any other manipulation of multiple high quality digital photos.
    I have yet to have the display driver crash while utilizing the GPU for any other programs I have, even GPU "burn in" testing
    programs like FurMark. I know my card is good but the W8 64 bit driver for it is still immature.

So my question is;
    Can specific programs, like Photo Gallery, be set to have the CPU utilized over GPU rendering as a priority in Windows 8?
    Can GPU rendering be disabled for specific programs?

I know this CAN be done because Windows 8 itself provided the option to have the CPU do the rendering, [in a pop up dialog box] but only after multiple crashes and recoveries.
    Unfortunately the above would only last while the program was open.

Thanks
    CLiNT
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-11-21 at 17:30.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I think I may have found a way to correct this issue;
    NVIDIA's control panel will have advanced feature sets for each program it detects and Photo Gallery is among them.
    I've fiddled around with some of these advanced settings and thus far have not had any display driver crashes.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.