3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Thunderbolt Technology/Connectivity

Is it worthwhile? Who here has used it? Assessments, impressions, opinions, etc.?

Faced with breaking the bank to build a new confuser, I was reading on the MSI website about this new technology.

http://us.msi.com/service/7_series/

My thanks to all who respond!

Thanks
    What new technology (specifically) ?
    It's an enthusiast styled motherboard whose specs are shared by many in it's category.

Hard OCP did a review on a variant of this board not long ago,
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi CLiNT!

In the link I cited above, there is reference to an actual physical port on the motherboard that allows one to daisy chain connect devices to attain data transfer rates of speeds up to 10Gbs in a bidirectional manner, and even includes DisplayPort devices. By my observation, apparently only the GD 80 and the G45 Thunderbolt come with this physical port. Is this the wave of the future? A good thing to invest in now?

I woner if you are psychic... --I was seriously considering my new build with the GD55! But I was also wondering if I would be better off with the Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt (that boasts the Thunderbolt port)? What do you think, please? There's more of a blurb about it here:

http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z77A-G45-Thunderbolt.html

Anyway, I am most grateful to you for sharing such an incredible and thorough review of the GD55!
    Last edited by Gerard3; 2012-11-22 at 10:43.

Thanks
    Worth looking into and doing more research on.
    No sense considering doing a build with it if you can't get products that will use it.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Gotcha. Prospects look promising though, Intel looks to introduce about 100 new products this year, and others are also following. And the way it sounds, with that kind of data rate, people would be running their computers "outside the box" (case), would be my impression.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/25434..._year_end.html

Must admit, unless I am missing something, I am seriously tempted!

Thanks
    More information:

WinkipediA: Thunderbolt (interface)
    GIZMODO: Have You Ever Used Your Thunderbolt Port? Ever? For Anything?
    Intel: Thunderbolt™ Technology for Developers

Tom's Hardware: Everything You Need To Know About Thunderbolt
    *****(this is a good article to look at)*****

It appears that "Thunderbolt" products for Windows is still quite limited. I think the only display
    with an actual Thunderbolt port is of a MAC design, but Newegg offers many cable adaptors for all sorts of devices.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-11-23 at 02:03.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for making the time to share those most fascinating articles with me CLiNT. I have what I feel are good reasons of my own that TB will succeed. The first is that MSI always seems to be the first to market with new tech. In fact, years ago, I was among the first to have an 8XAGP with 128 Mbs. More importantly, the market needs it for video with the introduction of ultra HD 4K video as well as 3D video. Right or wrong, I think I'm decided now on my motherboard choice-- I'd be more at a loss with regret if I did not get it and it flies, than if I did get it and it doesn't fly. I believe it's just a matter of a little patience.

Thanks
    Good luck with the build, and keep us updated on how it's working out, if you like.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Will do. I already got a sweet deal on a couple VelociRaptors, and a mighty fine buy on an i5-3570K. My goodness Amazon is not kidding about their "Lightning" deals. The very second it became available, I clicked and bought it, and within a minute or so, they was all gone. Lucky me!