Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Control Panel View

Whenever I open Control Panel it displays the category view. I change it to medium icons but the next time I open it it opens in category view again. How do I make the medium icons view permanent?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    I do not believe you can.

Have you added a Start Orb replacement? In Classic Shell I have Control panel set as a menu item:

ControlPanelMenuItem.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Adding the Desktop toolbar to the taskbar will get you a fold out menu-driven view of the control panel as well. I find that or Medico's approach to be more direct and superior to other methods.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Control Panel Icon Choice Retains Selected Option

I don't know why royw's icons reverts back to Category View. I can only share the behavior of my dual boot system. Both Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 8 Pro retains whatever view I choose, be it Category, Large Icons or Small Icons. I believe that is the way it is supposed to work "out of the box".

Rich

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    In Classic Shell, Customise Start Menu, I double clicked Control Panel and chose "Set sub-items as buttons". This did not create a menu, as described by Medico, but when I click Control Panel on the right hand column of the start menu it opens showing medium icons. I also created a desktop shortcut which also opens showing medium icons, so problem solved.

Thanks for the replies.

Regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    Whenever I open Control Panel it displays the category view. I change it to medium icons but the next time I open it it opens in category view again. How do I make the medium icons view permanent?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    I have Control Panel set to display small icons, and it does that every time I open Control Panel. I have my desktop setup to display the Control Panel icon, and I get the small icons view whether I use the desktop Control Panel icon or use the menu that pops up when right-clicking the lower left corner of the desktop.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    You have to use the Settings menu on Classic Shell. Right Click the Classic Shell icon and choose Settings:

ClassicShellControlPanelMenu.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Roy. Quoting you here : Whenever I open Control Panel it displays the category view.

I had this problem too, here is my solution : Reduce the size of that dialog ( CP ), so you can move an icon to the desktop, open CP in your choice, either small or large icons; at the very top of the line, at the far left end, you will see a small icon for the CP. Move an icon to the desktop, it will retain the large/small selection and on top of it, you have an icon for your desktop to reach CP in two clicks. It worked for me. When one sets a "persistency", it has to be done from the actual choice. No classic shell required. JP.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2012-11-22 at 11:46. Reason: Spelling.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Ted. In your reply #2, you wrote : I do not believe you can.
    I have not much to add to this forum as my W-8 is running so fine but I want to redress this here. Read my reply to Roy, it can be done.
    You guys have a Holiday today ? Have a great one. JP.

Thanks
    JP thanks for clearing that. I do not use that view as this is one of the things I use Classic Shell for. I like the fact that CP will open in a menu format. Very handy.

Thank you for the best wishes for our Thanksgiving day. This is a day when we give thanks for the bounty we have received throughout the year. A day when we visit with family and friends and give thanks.

I would like to give thanks to all my friends and colleagues here in the Lounge, and wish everyone, whether in the US or around the world a

Happy Thanksgiving!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, did you see a comeback from royw about this CP mode ?
    Do show me a menu presentation of CP, I would love to see what it offers as compared to Large icons. JP.

Thanks
    JP, how is this?

ControlPanelMenu.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, thank you. I see that you have 41 options in your menu, I see 47 in Large icons. You also seem to have some that I do not have, did you slide them in yourself or is your Power Shell more up to date or less ? I see that some that are not in your menu are in the Start menu. Interesting to say the least. JP.

Thanks
    Some of my options are not shown. There is a scroll arrow at the bottom. My screen is not high enough to show all of them on one screen. I have chosen single column rather than double column display. I believe there are differences depending on what is installed or enabled, etc.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's 50 all at once with room to spare...I'd have even more room on one of my x1200 screens. This is just a 1080.

There are indeed a few items in the panel here and there that are picked up with various other programs so the actual number will vary a little.
    full list.jpg