2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

After REPAIR INSTALL - Unable to do a Backup or keeping a Restore Point

Hi Folks,
    I did a repair install Win7 64 due to the fact that Win7 would not keep a Restore Point "saved" - and I could not due a back-up - saying volume could note be found.
    I've going through many many attemps after research to no avail. The System Volume Folder, regardless of what I do will not show. I tried to make a folder System Volume Information and place in root of C:\, but received a message that a file with same name is already present.

I'm convinced that there's corruption to this folder - did a regedit find for System Volume Folder and regedit did not find....go figure

Well, in any event, I did a "Repair Install", hoping this would correct the problem, but it DIDN'T......

Any ideas PLEASE - I sure don't want to do a clean install if at all possible.

Thanks and have a blessed one.

Tom

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Have you tried a chkdsk /R ?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib,
    I sure have and it comes back clean. There "must" be a way of correcting this through the registry with an entry or hack or getting the correct hive from the Win7 install disk? I just don't know how to do it...
    I will run chkdsk /r again in the morning.
    Thanks so very much ruirib - you've always helped me out before and I highly appreciate you expertise.
    Have a blessed one. I'll report back.
    Tom

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How's your disk space? I believe Low space could shut down System Restore and prevent backups.
    The System Volume folder is hidden by default, You'd have to unhide Protected operating system files.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib - Check disk was fine - only found two orphaned files - but it could not recover the unindexed files.

BigMac56 - I have a 600gig Raptor - I have 200 gig of free space available.
    I've done everything to unhide the System Volume Folder to no avail. I can make a new folder on the desktop named System Volume Information - when I try to
    move it to C:\ - I get a box saying that it already exists....so it is there..........go figure.

Thanks for your interest.
    Tom

Administrator
    Thanks
    Are you using any security apps or cleaning utilities?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi ruirib,
    I use only MS Security Essentials - I do a Malwalbytes every Friday - but it's not running all the time.
    I use and have used CC Cleaner for Recycle Bin etc cleaning - but not the Registry Cleaner....that's all....
    Thanks so much,
    Tom

Administrator
    Thanks
    Does CCleaner show anything on Restore Points? I have read elsewhere that a CCleaner feature (wipe free space) removes restore points.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib,
    I do "not" do a "wipe free space" with CCleaner. Restore points in CCleaner show none.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Administrator
    Thanks
    As I understand, wipe free space, if checked in CCleaner's options, is executed whenever CCleaner is executed. I believe it is checked by default.

Thanks
    Rui, wipe free space is not checked by default. I just downloaded it for my Win 8 laptop and it was unchecked.

Jerry

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cthiggin View Post
    The System Volume Folder, regardless of what I do will not show. I tried to make a folder System Volume Information and place in root of C:\, but received a message that a file with same name is already present.

Tom ,
    Hello... You can not access the "System Volume Information " unless you "Take Ownership" of it ...But this is probably nothing to do with your problem .... The "Volume " being referred to is your disk... Please post a screen shot of the "Disk Manager" showing the HD that your trying to Image ... Also you could try one of the free Imaging programs like Macrium Reflect free just to see what would happen ... this would prove where the "problem lies " ... I never use the "Windows flavor" of Imaging just because it's not reliable, and it's a looser of a program ...(both "Clumsy and Clunky"in my experience) ...Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    HTML Code:
    I did a repair install Win7 64 due to the fact that Win7 would not keep a Restore Point "saved" - and I could not due a back-up - saying volume could note be found.
    A "Drive" is often called a Volume.
    Most automated backup software that comes with computers have their own drives set up on the partition, sometimes hidden.
    Is it looking for a drive that's not available any more, (wiped out by the repair) or has been given a new name?