4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pinning Templates

I am just now having the misfortune of switching from Word 2003 to Word 2010 and the damn ribbon. It is such a pain.

I used to have a custom menu that listed all the templates I use on a daily basis. I could start a new document with a specific template in two clicks. Now, I have to click on

File
    New (and ignore all the Office.com templates I never use)
    My templates

and then click to the subdirectory where a template is stored. (I have enough that they are arranged logically in folders.)

Is there any way to dump the office.com templates I never use and show my templates on that screen?

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Thanks
    Ronny,

First, you can bypass the obnoxious New dialog and display the classic one on your QAT. Edit the QAT, either by clicking the little arrow next to it and choosing More Commands... or File > Options > Quick Access Toolbar. In the left column, change the top drop-down to Commands Not in the Ribbon, then scroll down to find "New Document or Template...". This will display the Classic tabbed dialog.

Second, you need to edit your registry to get rid of MSFT's templates -- this will remove any or all unwanted templates.

Use regedit to expand to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Components\8F622368F04F7B849A7B2021EE668F21

To remove all templates and tabs from the dialog, rename the top level key (8F622368F04F7B849A7B2021EE668F21). I add the word “not” to the start of the key. Then you can always remove it to restore them.

HTH, Kim

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kmurdock For This Useful Post:

Andrew Lockton (2012-12-02)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The new dialog box is great. Thanks. The registry edit did not work. I renamed the key and rebooted but the office.com templates are still there. However, I don't think it matters much since the new dialog box is what I will be using from now on.

Thanks
    Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Thanks
    You're welcome. Glad the dialog is working for you! I know I was thrilled when I found it (and believe me it was just about the first thing I went searching for).

I misunderstood your comment about the Office.com templates. Yep, I don't think there's anything to be done about them on that big, overwhelming new dialog that takes far more clicks to get anywhere. My registry edit only removes the tabs and templates that were shipped with Office and saved to the local PC from the classic dialog.

Best, Kim