3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Operation DDR3 - Trackdown Difficulties and Confusion?

Oh me and my questions...

I'm trying to get some ram for the following motherboard:
    MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130665

Note that the RAM specs are:
    4240pin DDR3 1066/1333/1600/1866*/2000*/2133*/2200*/2400*/2600*/2667*/2800*(OC)
    * To support DDR3 2200*/2400*/2600*/2667*/2800*(OC), you must install an Intel 22nm CPU

I'll be running Windows 7 Pro 64bit, on an i5 Quad 3750K processor. My thinking was to go with two 8 Gb cards for 16Gb total, and hoping to go with a 2200 at least to take advantage of the 22nm CPU. First, does this sound like a good plan, or is over- or underkill? Anyways, I tried tracking down a user friendly menu for these at Newegg and Amazon and Crucial. Crucial wasn't of big help to me as their ram finder just left me to one option that was unrecognizeable and prohibitively costly. I have been a fan of Crucial in the past, but am open to others of quality. I definitely want to keep the ceiling under $150, if I can. Certainly would appreciate any help and advice with what to get.

Amazon is supposed to be running a sell on Crucial right now, by the way.
    Last edited by Gerard3; 2012-11-25 at 13:43.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could try:
    http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/se...rd&Model=79905
    but they don't seem to show the highest possible specs.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, BigMac

Thank you kindly for making the time to help me. I see what you mean... Kingston's ram finder did not turn up much, and that "value" ram kind of scares me, wondering what kind of quality it offers.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard3 View Post
    Oh me and my questions...

Crucial wasn't of big help to me as their ram finder just left me to one option that was unrecognizeable and prohibitively costly. I have been a fan of Crucial in the past, but am open to others of quality. I definitely want to keep the ceiling under $150, if I can. Certainly would appreciate any help and advice with what to get.
    Gerard3,

Hello... I would contact "Crucial" (Live Rep) and explain to them your needs.... They have always been more than helpful for me in my past dealings with them... Budget , amount of Ram, and what will work, etc. ...Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you PlainFred. Great idea. Probably should have. I finally found some more solid idea of my possibilities, which I'll post shortly. I never imagined it could be this hard. Ain't like the old days, nosiree.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Phew!-- Here's the good, the bad, and the ugly. G.Skill offered me the most reassuring of available choices. Here's one way to go with the fast RAM:

G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C10D-8GTX
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-2400C10D-8GTX

Originally, I conceived of going 2 X 8 to get my 16, leaving 2 bays open for any (if needed) more. The max I can attain with this choice is 16 total. My thing is, I am ignorant as to how much I need. I want to avoid both bottlenecking and bottle bloating. I do not know how true this is, but I have in the past read that too much RAM can actually slow down a confuser. There are also too other issues to consider, seem folks have noted that the neat little heat sinks that come with the sticks make for a tight fit around the heat sink. Secondly, I should expect to do a little BIOS tweaking, as it can pose a challenge for the processor to keep with it.

All that being said, what do you think about the possibilities. Should I get this, or scale down the speed, be satisfied with 8 Gigs, or load up to 16, or other? Thanks!

Thanks
    You could go for a 4x4=16 and select an XMP profile that will clock the RAM to 1600, which is quite mild and easily achieved. (mild overclock)

Or you could use 8x2=16 and follow MSI's dual channel population rule as outlined in their TR10_2695 User manual PDF for better performance.
    8x2 based on the dual channel looks to be better than a full population of all the slots. Selecting compatible memory with a clock speed
    of 1600MHz will be more than sufficient.

Fred's advice on going through Crucial to check for an 8GB@1600 stick compatibility is worthwhile checking out too, as
    some of the memory in the MSI manual for the 8GB stick is relatively unheard of. (Matrix/Micron/Transcend)

According to MSI your RAM's speed will depend upon the processor's manufacturing spec (22 nm), so take that into consideration too.

MSI has a full list of RAM, sizes, and speed profiles listed on it's site. 12 to 16 GB of RAM is more than enough.

MSI will also offer a detailed user manual (TR10_2695) in PDF form laying out their memory specifications.
    This should be your first source of information to go to for set up details etc.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-11-27 at 12:40.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you so much, CLiNT!

I'm going to go with your advice on the 8 X 2. I did not start out to do so, but this is turning out to be a less than humble build. It's just that I got some serious discounts on the components. For example, I got a "Lightning Deal" on an i7 3770k, so the i5 is getting returned.

In my cautious research, I discovered as well that both Newegg and G.Skill have some really good "memory finder" tools. I like what I have been reading about G.Skill and their reputation. I really am interested about their "Trident" series. For the love of me, I could not track down that TR10 manual. I even googled for it.

Lastly, I notice in your specs that you are running Windows 8. Do you like it?

Thanks
    No build is humble imo. It's all in the research. Doing the actual build is the fun part.
    And it's even more fun if you've done all the legwork beforehand.
    The last thing you want is to find something that you missed at the time you actually sit down to build it..

http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z77A-G4...l#/?div=Manual
    z.jpg
    The zip is named differently than the PDF
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-11-29 at 00:19.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Lastly, I notice in your specs that you are running Windows 8. Do you like it?
    Yes I do despite all the neigh Sayers and tech media pundits to the contrary. I'm getting along fine in Windows 8.
    For the cheap upgrade price I recommend giving it a try, ...with an open mind of course.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build: