New Lounger
    Thanks

windows 8 recovery

Just bought a new HP with windows 8 but the recovery media (dvd) will not validate. I have no way to reinstall if my pc crashes. HELP-ANYONE

Thanks
    reallike, Welcome to the Lounge.

Just choose a 3rd party Imaging app such as Acronis True Image 2013, Macrium Reflect, EaseUS ToDo, etc. and create an Image. This is far superior to a Recovery DVD anyway because the Image is created after you make whatever changes you make to customize your PC. The Image will then restore to the exact moment you create it. I have made it a point to create a new Image (stored on an Ext. HD) at least once per month after patch Tuesday. This way your image is always up to date.

If I wish to restore on of my Images it takes less than 10 minutes. If you were to restore from that recovery, it would take it back to factory, but how many changes and updates have you added since the factory Image was made. It would take much longer to restore using the factory recovery.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good Monday morn to you, Ted. >>> I have made it a point to create a new Image.
    Do you do clones or images ? A very debated point recently in another forum. I prefer clones as I can then access any file/folder without having to do a restore of the image. A clone is a bit for bit copy ( you knew this ). I know that we debated this choice a while back but your choice of words here has me wondering. It might be -> my <- choice of words. Another advantage of a clone is that it allows me to update today's file but opening the source and the destination, side by side on my screen, and just move any data file with the mouse. This is me !
    The terms, image-clone, has not been used properly. Having to restore an image first, puts the brake on my operation, no restore required in a clone; granted, I use Acronis, maybe your procedure with a paid app is different. Light my candle. Jean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reallife View Post
    Just bought a new HP with windows 8 but the recovery media (dvd) will not validate. I have no way to reinstall if my pc crashes. HELP-ANYONE
    You may need to seek out the support of HP if you are experiencing any difficulties with their recovery or install media.
    If you computer is new then it should be within it's warranty period.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    JP, I always use Images. In this way I can save as many as I wish on the same partition on my Ext. HD. With clones you are limited to one copy and it is the same size as the original OS. My Images are compressed files and I presently have 3 separate Images for each of our PCs.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    JP, you can also access individual files and/or folders in images as well as in clones in most imaging software I am aware of.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, every thing you wrote here is so right. I do clones as I look after ± 10 machines for friends and I started by getting 12 USB HDs in the 120 to 160 GBs sizes. They are all labeled with the owner's name and date, no restore to be done. You way is just as good as mine if not better, if it suits you, this is the main point. Saving many images on a single medium is great, I will admit. I never save copies of copies as the previous one is now history, one size fits all ! As I wrote before, we are all different, some more, you said.
    There was no need but I wanted to be sure of your terminology. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, allo. "also access individual files and/or folders in images as well as in clones in most imaging software".

Do you not have to restore the image first ? This is the step that I want to not have to do. Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Jerry, allo. "also access individual files and/or folders in images as well as in clones in most imaging software".

Do you not have to restore the image first ? This is the step that I want to not have to do. Jean.
    You can mount images without restoring them, JP.

Thanks
    As Rui said. With Acronis installed, all I have to do is double click on an image file and it opens in an explorer window that allows me to copy any individual files or folders I want.

Jerry

Thanks
    In Windows 8, there are several levels of restoration available, and going back to an OEM DVD setup is rarely going to be necessary.

First, I would definitely contact HP Support or the place where you bought the PC and get them to walk you through the process of getting valid recovery media. This is their responsibility, and if they fail in this, I would return the PC for a full refund. But assuming you will get valid recovery media through Support, I would still keep in mind the less radical options which Windows 8 now offers.

Microsoft outlines the steps and consequences of Restore, Refresh and Reset options in this article. As you can see, going back to OEM with recovery media is rarely necessary in Windows 8.

If none of these options works to solve a Windows 8 issue, or if Windows will not even boot into its Recovery options screen, I would have on hand a Full System Image from any of the backup and recovery programs listed in previous posts. And also reliable and flexible Recovery Media. To use Recovery Disks, you will need to get into your system's BIOS and set the Boot Order to start with CD/DVD. HP Support should be able to tell you how to do this. (The exact key combination varies by model.)

Personally, I use Macrium Reflect Free and I downloaded Microsoft's WAIK (1.7 GB) so as to create a WinPE recovery disk for use with Macrium Reflect. I have successfully restored MBR, files and folders and entire OS Images using the tools available in both the installed and the Rescue Media environments. The standard (Linux) Rescue Media for Macrium Reflect Free is too limited for recovering files or folders from the Rescue Environment. Hence the extra step of creating the WinPE Rescue Media.

The most important thing to do is clean up the OEM trialware or whatever else you don't need from the PC. At this point make your Full Image Backup. This backup is mountable and searchable, just as if it were another hard drive.

Then update everything you want to keep. This includes MS Updates, which may take several passes. I would accept Windows 8 driver updates from MS Updates at this stage, but not anytime thereafter. Security (Windows Defender) is built in, but you may want to add a spyware scanner or two (no other active antivirus programs). Once things look and feel the way you want them, make another Full Image Backup. This will be your first working Backup Image. I usually do this before adding any of my preferred software to the PC.

Additional Images can be made after installing all the software you want to add. At the stage where all your preferred software is installed, I would run a good cleanup utility like CCleaner for the Registry and the System, followed by defragmenting the system drive. A good deep virus and spyware scan at this stage wouldn't hurt. Then make the Backup Image.

If you buy a 1TB or 2TB external hard drive and dedicate it to Image Backups, you will be able to make a lot of backup images before you will even begin to run out of space. Do not defragment a backup drive. I also prefer to do backups and attach the drive for them only when the PC is not online. With Macrium or any of the other Image Backup programs, a Full Image usually is created in about 20-30 minutes. Verify the Image and this will bring each backup session to under an hour.

Once you get things set up, you can enjoy your new PC and the Windows 8 experience with a great deal of peace of mind.

This advice applies equally to Windows 8 Standard and Windows 8 Pro Editions, but not to Windows 8 RT.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    I have found that patch Tuesday (right after our systems are updated) is a great time to create new Images and run File History. In this manner I always have a fairly Up To Date Image. Plus this is a great reminder to actually perform this chore.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted