Thread: Data Recovery

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Data Recovery

This could be a question for Other Apps or for Non-Win OSes forums, but Maintenance now seems the best bet.

I have a 2T external NTFS drive staring at me that was accidentally reformated and that I would like to try recover data from. The going rate for Windows programs to do the job seems to be about seventy bucks (with no cyberMonday deals), but I also have a Ubuntu dual-boot setup (as well as on a stick), and for that matter an older version of the MiniTool program that has no 1G ceiling on recovery and that I have used successfully in past.

I have Ubuntu but know nothing about it, and it is my impression that it is the most efficient route to data recovery. (I do know that this data is recoverable, having previewed it with a utility that, after days of running and getting a peek, told me, then and only then, that it would be $70 if I want it. I decided to take my business elsewhere.)

The Linux (Ubuntu) recovery discussion I have seen is incomplete and out-of-date, and I would welcome any discussion of how to proceed. The total amount of data would be 1.5T, much of which is backups of 100G each and which I may not want when I see them.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2012-11-26 at 12:09.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Give the freeware program Recuva a shot at it.
    http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Give the freeware program Recuva a shot at it.
    http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download

Jerry
    I have this in progress thanks to your suggestion, and am already halfway through the 'scanning drive' stage. I see that the release date for this version is just a matter of days ago, so it's right up to date.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Interestingly enough, I have just discovered that the Giveaway of the Day today is HDD Mechanic Standard, a recovery program that sells for $139.95. I think it’s available until about 2 AM EST (and it has to be installed in the same timeframe as the offer), so you might want to download that. I also see that Recuva gets top marks for freeware utilities.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dogberry For This Useful Post:

jwitalka (2012-11-27),RetiredGeek (2012-11-27)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post
    This could be a question for Other Apps or for Non-Win OSes forums, but Maintenance now seems the best bet.

I have a 2T external NTFS drive staring at me that was accidentally reformated and that I would like to try recover data from. The going rate for Windows programs to do the job seems to be about seventy bucks (with no cyberMonday deals), but I also have a Ubuntu dual-boot setup (as well as on a stick), and for that matter an older version of the MiniTool program that has no 1G ceiling on recovery and that I have used successfully in past.

I have Ubuntu but know nothing about it, and it is my impression that it is the most efficient route to data recovery. (I do know that this data is recoverable, having previewed it with a utility that, after days of running and getting a peek, told me, then and only then, that it would be $70 if I want it. I decided to take my business elsewhere.)

The Linux (Ubuntu) recovery discussion I have seen is incomplete and out-of-date, and I would welcome any discussion of how to proceed. The total amount of data would be 1.5T, much of which is backups of 100G each and which I may not want when I see them.
    Well, stopping it while it was checking files is not going to make things any better here. You have a couple of options, have chkdsk finish and see if that fixed anything, or take the drive to a data recovery shop.

You can probably try the testdisk program and see if that can recover the partition info on the drive, chances are the data is all there, but Windows just can't get to it because the partition info is gone.
    Last edited by annycanter; 2013-03-07 at 00:52.