4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

UI Expert Says Windows 9 Will Be Windows 8 Done Right

This is interesting:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/win...-ux,19191.html

"there's nothing that a modest redesign can't fix"
    I think I'll wait for 9.

Thanks
    There's a group on this board that loves Windows 8 and another group that hates it. Nothing additional will change anyone's opinion. Personally I don't particularly like it but with several tweaks I can live with it. I don't see any good reason to upgrade a Windows 7 PC that is running well but I wouldn't try to downgrade a new PC with Windows 8 pre-installed either. I've decided to stay out of the Windows 8 flame wars. It is what it is and nothing we say will change it. I wouldn't hold my breath for a major change in Windows 9 either.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry
    I'm with you I can customize and use it but don't like it and am not going to upgrade my Windows 7. I'll wait until I get a new PC and see what's around then.
    Joe

Thanks
    Obviously MS will update and make changes in Windows 8 where it sees fit, and not exclusively based on some report by Jakob Nielsen.
    I happen to be among those that see Windows 8 as being a better operating system than any of it's predecessors.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm one who isn't in love with the UI Start screen, but I don't hate it either. It's useable once you know a few tricks. I don't see MS bringing back the start menu, but I do see them tweaking the UI a bit in SP1. I don't think they will wait until Windows 9. Remember what they did with Windows 95 SP1? They added the arrow that said "Start Here" pointing to the then, very non-intuitive Start button.
    Chuck

Thanks
    I think we'll start seeing service pack level OS updates in Windows 8 in a shorter timeframe than previous MS operating systems.
    This will be (most probably) likely due to competition in the portable device market.
    We still might very well see some sort of desktop start menu in Windows 8, hopefully it won't look anything like windows 7's.

It will probably take the form of what you see when you type win+x, but a modified version where you'll have a 3rd party programs listing
    menu and some form of restart/shutdown/logoff/sleep/hibernate capability.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I do not see any reason to add any more to this discussion. Clint has expressed my views. I just do not put a lot of faith into one person's opinion of an OS that is working very well for us, in many cases better than Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Just another step in the evolution of the UI. I believe the desktop as we know it will disappear in the not too distant future. The future for a desktop PC will be a combination of keyboard/mouse for heavy duty input and touch for others. As touch and voice become more refined keyboard and mouse will disappear too. Windows 8 is just the next step along the way.

Joe

Thanks
    Ars Technica has a good spread on Windows 8, including a head-to-head against Windows 7 with multiple benchmarks. It seems there isn't a huge gap, and hardly any in many cases. I have found no compelling reason to leave Windows 7 Ultimate. I can't say that Windows 8 is a better operating system, because I can find no discernible differences in stability or performance compared to this same laptop under Windows 7. I never power down, using sleep on AC power and hibernation on battery, so boot times don't mean much.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think the mouse and keyboard are going to be gone from desktops anytime soon and replaced with touch. One reason is simply reaching the monitor from a chair. On top of that who wants a large monitor full of fingerprints and smudges.
    Joe

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe S For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2012-12-04)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    I don't think the mouse and keyboard are going to be gone from desktops anytime soon and replaced with touch. One reason is simply reaching the monitor from a chair. On top of that who wants a large monitor full of fingerprints and smudges.
    Joe
    I don't think a virtual keyboard will ever replace a physical keyboard, and can you imagine a huge room full of cubicle dwellers all dictating to their PC's at the same time? Even with microphone and headset? Not to mention call centers - "No, I'm not talking to you, I'm talking to my computer."
    Last edited by bbearren; 2012-11-27 at 17:43.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ZDnet: Microsoft's domino effect: Poor PC sales could unravel company

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-domi...ny-7000008209/

Microsoft's entire business ultimately rests on PC sales, and PC sales are dwindling globally pretty badly.
    PC sales are declining, Windows 8 isn't helping
    Developers are reneging on Microsoft's platform
    I am very interested in computers. I have been a programmer since 1977, and a Systems Engineer since 2004.

I built IBM compatible computers from scratch from parts that I ordered from ads in Computer Shopper when it used to be large format, and an inch thick, and more recently I have built them from parts that I get from Newegg and MicroCenter.

I liked DOS. I installed and played with Windows 3.1, 95 and 98, but I didn't like them. Then in 2000 I went to Windows 2000, and stayed with it until 2008 when I upgraded to Windows XP. My wife gave me Windows 7 Ultimate for Christmas, 2009, and I installed it a few days later. I haven't liked most Windows most of the time, but I really liked Windows 7. So it is hard for me not to wish Microsoft a slow death and sort of enjoy the fact that Windows 8 is failing, but I know that I don't really want them to fail. I do want them to learn a lesson though, and I think they are.

I have quit paying much attention to Windows 8. It is what it is, and either they will fix it or they won't. Recently I have been playing with Arduino. I have the Arduino IDE running on the Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation computer. I have another 37 days on the evaluation, and then I'm taking it back to Windows 7 Professional. I'm also looking at the Atmel Studio 6 IDE. It's more complicated, but I think that when I have surmounted the learning curve, I'm going to like it. Unlike Windows 8.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You confound your wishes with the reality, it is as simple as that. Not only Windows 8 is not failing, but other divisions from Microsoft generate more revenue than Windows itself. There is Office, a true cash cow, there is Server and Tools, and there are a few more. Microsoft has the resources and the funds to make things work. Look at XBox - it was the underdog and now it's a market leader and it has been so for months.

I have no interest in Microsoft other than being a user of their products, from office tools like Outlook and OneNote, to SQL Server and Visual Studio. They offer some of the best software in the market and that's what I like about them. From a software engineering point of view, they build excellent products, and I really enjoy using and developing with them.

Thanks
    Admittedly, Windows 8 will need some form of desktop start menu, especially from a n00bs perspective.

The biggest stumbling block to Windows 8 for any n00b that finds himself using it will be the lack of some sort of start menu, and not the
    start screen with the tiled modern UI. Once the app store starts to take off, I think most people may find that they'll enjoy what the new
    UI has to offer.
    Windows 8 is great right now as it is, but it could be better, and I'm sure that it will.
    But make no mistake, the tiled start screen modern UI is here to stay.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    But make no mistake, the tiled start screen modern UI is here to stay.
    That could be one of the most obvious things I've read in a long time. If Microsoft is going to incorporate touch, it really can't be anything but some form of modern, finger-friendly U.I. that others have been using for some time now. One thing that is pretty unequivocal is that the desktop does not work well on a touch device.

I am basically speaking only of how and when the two interfaces are presented, that's where I think Microsoft shot themselves yet again, in both feet this time...difficult to win or even complete a marathon when so hampered. I'd like to see them succeed, but not be such idiots when they introduce large changes; what is it about their business structure that allows this to repeat lame starts time after time? Is it just because they're so large and multi-faceted and kind of departmentally protective?
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2012-12-04 at 00:22.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

acbeaton (2013-01-03)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast