3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

System not recognizing full size of hard drive

I have a MSI notebook with Windows 7 Home Premium. The notebook has a 300g hard drive which until a recent image restore was recognized. After the restore my C partition lost about 60g of space. In the Computer management Console Disk0 is now 232.88g.

I used the factory recovery disc for a new installation and chose to restore partitions not just drive C, but to no avail. Any ideas how I can recover my disc to full size? I did not try a format.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks
    chuck

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Chuck,

Your graphic doesn't show the right side of the disk. Is it showing any unallocated space if you scroll the display over?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    The use of a 3rd party partitioning tool may show hidden partitions that the default Windows Disk Management tool cannot.
    Verify what disk manager is showing you.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RG,

Chuck's graphic shows the size of Disk0 is 232.88 GB, and the sum of the four partitions shown adds up to that amount. I don't think there's anything hidden behind the right margin of Chuck's image.

I don't think this is a case of unpartitioned or unallocated disk space, as that would still be included in the reported size of Disk0.

Chuck,

232.8 is the size in GB of a typical 250GB hard disk, which begs the question: are you certain your disk is 300GB and not 250GB? What's the model number?

If it is indeed a 300GB disk, then perhaps it has somehow become truncated by a hidden HPA ("Host-Protected Area"). Most partitioning tools are unaware of the existence of any HPA, but there are other tools for exposing or manipulating it, such as Hitachi's "Feature Tool", Seagate's "SeaTools", "HDAT2", and HDDGuru's "Capacity Restore Tool" or "Magic Boot Disk".

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You are right RG! I went into the BIOS and confirmed 250GB. WOW! I am really getting old. Sorry fellows.
    Thanks
    chuck