Lounger
    Thanks

Open IE, type address, Chrome opens but I want IE to navigate to that addr

Win XP (current service packs and updates). IE8. Chrome Version 23.0.1271.91 m.

Some web sites require IE to function properly, like mndot.gov. When I open IE and type an address and press enter wanting IE to naviate to that page. Instead, Chrome opens to the web page of the address I typed. I have my IE > Internet Options > Programs > "Tell me if IE is not the default browser" checked, and Chrome is set to the default browser. I can't uncheck that in Chrome > Settings. I tried unchecking the IE box, restarting, check the IE box, restarting, but I can't get IE to navigate to the address I type. I've tried numerous addresses like www.google.com and yahoo.com. How do I set these browsers so IE navigates to IE?
    Last edited by guitarzan8; 2012-11-27 at 16:36.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Make IE the default. Then Chrome will automatically stop being default.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-12-01 at 16:42.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarzan8 View Post
    Win XP (current service packs and updates). IE8. Chrome Version 23.0.1271.91 m.

Some web sites require IE to function properly, like mndot.gov. When I open IE and type an address and press enter wanting IE to naviate to that page. Instead, Chrome opens to the web page of the address I typed. I have my IE > Internet Options > Programs > "Tell me if IE is not the default browser" checked, and Chrome is set to the default browser. I can't uncheck that in Chrome > Settings. I tried unchecking the IE box, restarting, check the IE box, restarting, but I can't get IE to navigate to the address I type. I've tried numerous addresses like www.google.com and yahoo.com. How do I set these browsers so IE navigates to IE?
    Strange. A way to work around the problem (not a cure) if you'd rather not make IE your default browser: Don't open Internet Explorer. Instead, press Win+R (i.e., hit the R key while holding down the Windows key) to open the Run dialog, and type
    iexplore.exe www.google.com.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh, gosh. I realized immediately after hitting Submit that I was talking through my hat. Since we don't know why IE is launching pages in Chrome, the proposed workaround might very well do the same thing.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    At Set Program Access and Defaults (on Start menu or under Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel), is Enable access to this program checked for Internet Explorer?

Bruce

Thanks
    Here's the way I make sure that the desired browser opens when I go to certain websites:

I create a shortcut for the website, and for the target I put the following: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" http://www.windowssecrets.com

(Make sure you put "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer" in the Start In field.)

In this way, every time I use this shortcut to go to the Windows Secrets website, it will use Internet Explorer to access it.

You can put the path to whatever browser you want to use, and it will always load that browser whenever you use that shortcut.

An added advantage to this approach is that a new browser window is always opened; it never changes the address on the browser window I currently have open.