New Lounger
    Thanks

WLM not working after crash/restore

Hello, I have read WS for years and never looked in the lounge ....... I hope I do this correctly. I had a Win 7 sp1 64bit computer running fine, and early in Nov. the power supply shorted out and sparked/burned/melted/smoked itself to uselessness. It took the MB with it, but I have since tested and learned the HD is ok. I rebuilt an older Intel MB and CPU (single core Pentium 3.4Ghz) and reinstalled W7 into a new 500G HD. BUT .... the older processor would only accept 32 bit. Then used my win 7 backup/restore external HD and got everything back. Here's (finally) the problem: WLM only restored contacts and that's all I can access. Everything else is grayed out and even tho it lets me 'sign in' and the status bar says 'working online' nothing happens, I can't receive/send, and all my old messages are empty - gone, well, they aren't 'gone' because my external and apparently ok HD still have them, but they aren't in the new setup. Can someone help me sort this out? I do have a Microsoft account, and have even posed this ? in the WLM blog there. No answer yet. THANK YOU. Steve.

Thanks
    Can you put the old HD in an enclosure to gain access? I believe the WLM stuff is 32 Bit. If you can gain access, the Windows Live Mail folder in in C:, Users, UserName. Perhaps you can copy/replace this folder to your present HD in the same location. This might allow you to open this as your WLM store.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Medico ... Thanks for the suggestion. I had already tested the drive by opening the side of the new build of the older INTEL pentium (see above), and plugging the drive into a sata port and power from the new power supply. That's how I know it seems ok. Windows named it drive 'F:', and I could NOT find Steve/AppData/local/Microsoft/windows Live Mail. Steve is there, but the rest of the data is not. My wife has a desktop in our home office too with identical software, and she DOES have the full string of files on 'C:'. Should I do some other kind of search? I looked in the external backup drive too but that's a little harder to pull files from. Another suggestion I got was to uninstall Windows Live Essentials, reboot, and redownload it. No change, same grayed out nonfunctioning. And ... oops ... I might have made it worse by going to accounts, mail, and entering a pop.yahoo.com account with my email ( I thought it would 'see' me if I re entered the address. Now it wants two signins when I open, and I don't know how to delete the thing. Thanks again. Steve.

Thanks
    Assuming you have Windows 7, go to Control Panel > Foder options > View tab and check the Show hiiden Files... radio button and uncheck the Hide protected operating system files box.

This will allow you to see the App data folder and subdirectories.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Back after a brief absence. I unchecked the hidden and protected files boxes, and sure enough, the files in my old HD were visible. So I tried importing and something happened .... it said "some files did not transfer" but others did. Still no luck and no files are visible. And there are two accounts in the left pane under two Steve..... named accounts. Neither works. I do notice when I click on 'inbox' or 'sent' (or any of them really) there is a flash of something in the read mail pane, and then the 'no files in this view' message appears - in faded gray letters.