Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Microsoft: We've sold 40 million Windows 8 licenses to date

ZDNet has the article. 40 million licenses in one month. This does not count RT licenses.

According to the article, Win 7 sold 60 million licenses in the first 2 months after it's release. Hmmm! That seems to be 30 million per month. Hmmm!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    As Ed Bott states, it is probably the largest number of Windows licenses ever sold in a single month.

Thanks
    Hmmm, I guess this means people don't like Win 8 huh! Not! As Ed states in his article "That one month of sales is equal to more than half of the entire installed base of Macs. . . . And this is happening in a weak economy, with PC sales down year over year."
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    The price is obviously a big factor as well.
    It's about time MS set a decent price tag for an major OS release, let alone a mere upgrade version.
    I don't recall any prior OS release being so modestly priced.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The bulk of Win 8 sales were to pc manufacturers so we need to see a comparison of new pc sales at Win 7's release and Win 8's release for a true picture.

Thanks
    Good point.
    Yeah, more time is needed, and a more thorough breakdown in the data collected as to who/what is being sold to.
    It would also be interesting to see if people are downgrading upon purchasing Windows 8 based computers after all those licenses get shipped to manufacturers.
    Only time will tell.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlfvt View Post
    The bulk of Win 8 sales were to pc manufacturers so we need to see a comparison of new pc sales at Win 7's release and Win 8's release for a true picture.
    See the Ed Boot article (link in post #2). 60 million Win7 licenses in two months. The ongoing rate is more important than the first couple of months. Win7 settled in to a pretty steady 20 - 25 million per month.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It will be interesting to see a breakdown of where they went as far as manufacturers, sales to individuals , and product sales.
    Joe

mart44
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    It will be interesting to see a breakdown of where they went as far as manufacturers, sales to individuals , and product sales.
    Joe
    It will be interesting. Perhaps Microsoft themselves aren't going to mind where the copies went. They sold 40 million copies of Windows 8 in a month and this would be the bottom line for them. It's like selling anything else. It's the money coming in that counts, rather than who bought the goods.

I too think it's the ongoing rate that's important. Lots of W.8 copies are probably initially put on computers ready for selling by shops/businesses. These might not have gone out of the door to customers yet. Need to see the rate at which this happens and the rate it continues.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Of course this is the first month only, and the ongoing rate is what will ultimately matter. I think this shows one thing, though - the catastrophic views expressed by many here seem quite apart from reality. 40 million copies in a month is a good number, no matter how anyone tries to spin it otherwise.

This is happening in a economic depressed scenario in the US and Europe. IMHO, Windows 8 doesn't even need to sell as much as Windows 7 to be a success (7 clocked 20 million copies a month). It's importance to Microsoft will need to be judged by other things, like the share of the tablet market that it will capture. It's a long term thing and we're just in the first days. I think, however, that this clearly throws off any hopes of the doomsayers who stated this would be a new Vista. Vista sold, on average, around 10 million copies a month, even if it did sell 20 million in the first month. 8 sold twice as many.

Thanks
    "Licenses sold" does not equal "Installed base". $39.99 says a lot, and in fact is the only reason that I've even tried Windows 8. Had it been $149.99 (which it may well be after the introductory offer) I wouldn't have it on my laptop now.

That being said, I've used Windows 8 almost exclusively since October 26 (still doing my banking, etc. on my Windows 7 desktop). I don't care for the Start Screen, and don't use it, staying with the Desktop for everything. I'm still unimpressed with the performance of Windows 8, not seeing any discernible difference from the performance of Windows 7 on this laptop. I intend to restore my Windows 7 image to the laptop and migrate Windows 8 to dual-boot on my desktop (which already dual-boots Home Premium and Ultimate - I'll replace Home Premium with Windows 8) so that I will have it available in order to help those folks who are going to call me when they buy a new PC that has Windows 8.

I can see Windows 8 on a tablet or Smart Phone and understand MS's reasons for wanting to go there, but for my needs, there's nothing to be gained on a full-sized PC/laptop. The Start Screen apps (so far) are quite lame, and my guess at the moment is that any such apps that are more full-featured will likely be based "in the cloud", which is where I don't intend to go. There is an obvious push by MS toward a subscription/services model; I'm not interested in fee-based computing, and don't want to be nudged in that direction.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 off to a slow start

ZDnet: Windows 8 off to a slow start with consumers in month one, says NPD

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-off-t...94/?s_cid=e064
    Last edited by Prescott; 2012-11-30 at 09:30. Reason: Fix up Formatting

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Upstream supply chain sees Surface RT orders cut by half:
    http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20121128PD215.html

Windows PC Sales Down 21% Since Windows 8 Launch:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Win...les,19430.html
    - Windows 8 tablet sales have been "almost non-existent"

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sold v installed is two different things. I bought W8 and installed it for a day and went back to W7.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yep... same here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast