Thread: partition

New Lounger
    Thanks

partition

Subject: partition
    I recently changed my computer to one with a 1.8 Tb hard drive, enough to satisfy the ever growing need for space, for now at least. The HD is not partitioned and with my inevitable upgrade to Windows 8 sometime in the future it ocurred to me that I now have enough space for both 7 and 8. Whether that is a good thing, I'm not sure, but the problem that confronts me is; is it possible to partition this disk without compromising everything I have on it? And if so, what is the procedure?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

Welcome to the Lounge.

Yes, it is possible to do what you want. This article gives a nice explanation on how to achieve it: http://www.techtipsgeek.com/partitio...rmatting/5140/

Thanks
    My preference is to use a 3rd party app such as Partition Wizard to do these chores. I believe the 3rd party apps that specialize in partitioning are more effective and can actually do more that the Disk Manager is capable of doing. After you Partition your HD into 3 separate drives (I say 3 because this is a great opportunity to also separate your data to a separate drive as well as dual boot). I would leave the OS partition to approx. 50 to 75 Gb each, with the remainder as the Data Partition.

One thing to keep in mind. If you do dual boot Win 7 with Win 8, in order to keep Win 7 you will need to purchase the full install edition of Win 8 as the Upgrade Edition requires replacing the original OS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for very helpful reply. I downloaded the Partition Wizard, a nice piece of software, and look forward all it's benefits. And thank you also for reminding me about the difference between Install and Upgrade versions. Grateful thanks.