Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Windows 8 Pro & RT from a Windows Server expert

A newletter article from Mark Minasi who is one of the better know Windows Server gurus. It is mostly about Surface and Windows RT from someone who uses Windows heavily and teaches Windows Server classes frequently - 28 Days Under the Surface.

Joe

Thanks
    That's encouraging, and it's probably the best article as far as real usability that I've read so far.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That is an interesting review and a very informative one too.

One thing I was not aware of in Win8 RT that you get access to Powershell, regedit and gpedit. Very interesting indeed. For corporate types, these tools are essential and can be used to configure the machine to conform to the business needs.

Pity that the Office offerings on RT do not include Outlook yet. Are any other slabs from OEM's likely to run RT, or will they all be the much more expensive Pro? If RT is available on other tablets in the near future, then the lack of Outlook isn't a big issue if 3G is included; thus allowing OWA to become a viable alternative.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Administrator
    Thanks
    @Tinto - you can't get Outlook on RT. You can't install onto the desktop. Only Microsoft can. Microsoft considers RT a consumer device - note you can't join a domain. Microsoft considers Outlook a business application. So, it is highly unlikely that Outlook will be available on RT especially in the near future.

Joe

Thanks
    It's weird that MS would leave a command (powershell) prompt in it's tablet version. Typical of Microsoft to do something like that.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    It's weird that MS would leave a command (powershell) prompt in it's tablet version. Typical of Microsoft to do something like that.
    Just what I was thinking in relation to Joe's observation about Microsoft considering the Surface (the RT level device) being a consumer tablet. Why have Powershell, gpedit and regedit if the machine cannot be domain joined?

I hear what is said about Microsoft controlling Office deployments onto Surface. I was hoping that maybe sometime next year an OEM may build a lookalike Surface RT based device with 3G wireless access. With that the lack of Outlook melts away as one can be mobile and use Outlook Web Access.

But that will only work if OEM's have access to RT and can work with ARM or if Microsoft release a Surface RT 2 with 3G.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Administrator
    Thanks
    OEMs already have access to RT. There are other RT devices available now - Asus - VivoTab RT and Samsung - ATIV tab are two.

In the US 3G/4G is not quite as important as it was a couple of years ago as there are many free hotspots. I realize that may not be the case where you are.

The big change for me in the management area is the inclusion of gpedit. Regedit and Powershell have been available in consumer SKUs since they were released.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft needs to get their head out, and produce a Windows RT Pro version. Windows 8 RT Pro would probably have a lot of stuff that the Windows RT consumer version would not have, but three things come to mind:

Enterprise version of Microsoft Office
    Be able to join a Domain
    Be able to RDP into servers and workstations

If a Windows RT Pro device could join the domain it would go from being an Administrators nightmare, to just another computer in the network. The current version of Microsoft Office on Windows RT is the Home and Student version.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    Microsoft needs to get their head out, and produce a Windows RT Pro version. Windows 8 RT Pro would probably have a lot of stuff that the Windows RT consumer version would not have, but three things come to mind:

Enterprise version of Microsoft Office
    Be able to join a Domain
    Be able to RDP into servers and workstations

If a Windows RT Pro device could join the domain it would go from being an Administrators nightmare, to just another computer in the network. The current version of Microsoft Office on Windows RT is the Home and Student version.
    The device that will be available in early 2013 is Windows Surface Pro which will run Windows 8 Pro. You will be able to install Office 2013 Pro Plus in the desktop as you can with any Windows 8 PC or notebook. Running Windows 8 Pro means all the enterprise related "stuff" will be available.

I'm sure that other tablets running Windows 8 Pro will be available too. There may be a few now.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe for this : 28 Days Under the Surface

I was considering a Surface Pro as my " last computer ". I will definitely get one now if only for the fun of facing a new challenge. This was a very fine write up.

Do you know if they are going to be available north of the 45th at the same time as south of it ? Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Thanks Joe for this : 28 Days Under the Surface

I was considering a Surface Pro as my " last computer ". I will definitely get one now if only for the fun of facing a new challenge. This was a very fine write up.

Do you know if they are going to be available north of the 45th at the same time as south of it ? Jean.
    Sorry, I don't know where they will be available initially.

Joe

Thanks
    What the RT needs is some form of watered down Office version specifically geared to the ultra mobile while easily
    integrating/synchronizing/backing up data back to the desktop's Office suit.

You just can't realistically expect to use a fully functional Office suit on a tablet.

The Windows 8 pro tablet will likely prove to be amongst the worst devices MS has come up with to date, especially,
    and in light of the bad battery life press it's being getting lately pans out.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build: