Lounger
    Thanks

Bizarre Print Problem in Word 2010

A new coworker is having an odd problem. He just upgraded his computer to Office 2010 on Windows XP. He printed a document containing the word "discretion." It looked correct onscreen, in the print preview, but when the page printed out on his printer, the "ti" was missing. The word looked like "discre on." I tried printing the same sentence on my machine, also using Office 2010, Windows XP. "Discretion" printed correctly on my printer, and on his printer when I tried printing from my machine to his printer. Then he tried another "tion" word, such as "addition." Again the "ti" did not print ("addi on").

Has anyone ever encountered anything like this? I looked through AutoCorrect, the spellchecker dictionary, AutoFormat, etc. and could not find any strange entries.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. (He has restarted Word, but has not rebooted the computer. He will do that when he finishes the task he needs to finish.)

Thank you.

Thanks
    See if his printer driver is the same version as your printer driver. If not, uninstall his and install the one you have.

If that doesn't do the trick, then try the following "PDF" steps:

1. Install an Adobe Writer onto his computer (a program that will allow you to print to "PDF"). Print to PDF, and then open the resultant PDF file. If you see it correctly on the screen, then it should print correctly.

2. If the print job still has the error, then choose "Print as image" on the print properties of the PDF printer.

3. If all of that doesn't fix it, then print the PDF file to PDF, running it through Adobe again. By running it through Adobe again, you let Adobe "scrub" the document. I have found this to work in cleaning up errors in Adobe documents.

Adobe PDF is really great for managing print jobs.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input. I checked the printer drivers and they are the same. We will test the PDF solution this afternoon and see if it works. I'll let you know.

Thanks
    Another possibility: compare the Windows and Word updates on the two machines. There may be a difference there. Make the problem machine match the good machine. Make note of anything you uninstalled.

If that fixes it, then do a search for updates on the machine that had the problem. When the one you uninstalled shows up in the list of updates to install, hide it, so that you won't inadvertently install it in the future.

This fix would make Word work the correct way. The PDF fix is a way to work around the Word problem, and lots of other print problems as well.

For example, in AutoCAD, if you want to plot a drawing to letter or legal size paper, rather than full size blueprint paper, the easiest way by far to do that is to plot your drawing to PDF, rather than to the actual plotter. It is then a very simple matter to print the resultant PDF to letter or legal size paper, because when you print it, you choose Shrink to Fit, or Shrink Oversize Pages, or however it is worded.

No other "standard" program comes anywhere close to Adobe, in my opinion, for ease of managing print jobs.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2012-11-28 at 15:53.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, I have a new fact. He just found a report from last week, before the Word 2010 update, and the "ti" is missing from "tion" words. He was on Word 2007. When he finishes this week's reports, we'll test the PDF idea.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    According to this Microsoft KnowledgeBase entry, it could be a specific XP issue with Uniscribe :

Print jobs initiated in a Windows Server 2008 and Windows XP point and print environment may have missing characters (e.g. "ti")

(If applicable, it provides a quick registry fix as well as an alternative workaround.)

Bruce

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

PamCaswell (2012-11-29)

Thanks
    Great catch, Bruce!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce, you are awesome!! That was the problem! The reports are printing nice and neat now.

I think that was the only time a KnowledgeBase article was helpful.

Thanks again. This forum is so helpful.