Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Printing envelope.

I now have W-8 on two machines and I also installed Office 2010. I can print fine to my trusty HP 6L laser from either machine, the laptop does over the LAN.

No way can I print an envelope ! This printer when on W-7 was doing fine now it will print anything but envelopes.
    Any pointer or suggestions ? I am all eyes ! JP.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What happens? Do you get a blank envelope? Specifying Page number p0s1 (Page 0, Section 1) works for some people.

Bruce

Thanks
    Check your paper size / orientation / etc settings in both Word and your printer properties screen. I have found that Word doesn't always send the settings over to the printer driver.

Thanks
    Did you download the latest drivers and software for the printer. It is possible something has to be updated.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Bruce. You wrote : Do you get a blank envelope? Specifying Page number p0s1 (Page 0, Section 1) works for some people.

this printer has three LEs on the side, one is Ready, bottom, top is out of paper or " I can not do anything" and the middle one is : Leave me alone, I am thinking about your command. I get the Word 2010 dialog to set up a from and to address and a feed to the printer fine. After I set them up the last step is click on "Print", then the middle LED flashes and flashes and flashes, it never goes beyond this step. If I look at "What is printing now" there is nothing !

I was able today to print success, one envelope. I then clicked on "New" and was presented with multi options amongst them one Envelope. This one, after some editing, allowed me to print to my heart's content, I used the Lexmark Z32.

On the older Lexmark Z32, no problem. I will look for an updated driver. Thanks for your patience and support. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2012-11-28 at 20:35.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, good evening.
    "Did you download the latest drivers and software for the printer." . I had a peek just now and nothing new was added on the HP site. I got to MS Updates for the present driver for this oldie. I would like to keep using it as it prints quite nicely. If I can keep using the Lexmark Z32 for the envelope, I am laughing.

Thanks to all here for support. Jean.

Thanks
    In Word's envelope printing wizard, click on options > Printing options and make sure feed from is set to the bin containing your envelope. This is based on Word 2007. I assume Word 2010 is similar.

Jerry

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2012-11-29)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, Jerry, all the above mentioned conditions were met. I have this feeling that the printer nor its driver is at fault. I can print any envelope using the one in Word 2010 but the one way that is set up in Word is the one that does not print. As it is, I can print one from the G41 Thinkpad, over the LAN to this HP Laser Jet 6L why W-8 refuses is beyond me of course. Yes, it ought to be the same in 2007 and in 2010 as it also was in Word 2000.

Thanks for trying to help. Jean.

Thanks
    Printing envelopes, labels, etc., was just so much easier when we all still had typewriters. Eh?
    I wish I had not given mine away.

Happy Holidays!

Doc
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello. I learned to read a few years ago and it pays to do some research. Remember the problem that I mentioned here about printing difficulty on W-8 and my HP LaserJet 6L. Well, I found the User Manual.pdf in my machine and read it. When trying to get the printer going, the middle LED flashes and nothing happens, the manual says that it is in manual feed mode. What ? It also says to push the bottom led and release and VOILÀ, it prints any type/size of envelope. If only I had looked for this manual before !

NB. This is with Office 2000 loaded, in Word. At first, I could not install O2K but I do not give up easy. JP.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2012-12-07 at 13:48.

Thanks
    Glad you found the problem. Stubborn operator rather than OS. LOL. I often feel like that, but more and more have to look back at the manuals to operate stuff that just a couple of years ago I could do without. Oh well, that's what happens with experience (older).
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Ted,

The problem is we have so much stuffed in our heads from years of living that we have to push something out to make room for something new.
    My only problem is I can't control what gets pushed out....
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, Ted. >>> Stubborn operator rather than OS <<<
    It was a humbling experience but a learning one, the machine might want to be the master but no, the human, in a way, is. I will be that much perspicacious when doing IT for friends.

Retired Geek, are you as old as I am ? Jean.

Thanks
    RG, Ditto here. Sometimes I wish there were a stopper I could push in my ears to stop the leaking.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted