Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2003 - inbox problem

Hello,
    I'm using Office 2003 (inc Outlook 2003 with a gmail address) on XP Pro with dial-up internet access. I download all messages to my laptop as I am often off line when I need them. Outlook often has a tizzy with this setup but it has worked OK for years. Today after a tizzy all my inbox emails changed icon to indicate not downloaded - in other words I have to download again to read them. This only happened to the Inbox not the half dozen sub boxes. I'm hoping for a suggestion to fix this as I believe the info must still exist. If I'm unclear on this and any potential helper needs more info just ask.
    Thanks
    Brian S

Thanks
    I wonder if the problem is with Gmail rather than with Outlook.

Dialup is the oldest piece in the puzzle. Perhaps the slowness of dialup is causing something to time out. Can you download the email again without any issues (other than the normal ones)?

Would it be possible to go to someplace which has broadband (e.g. Starbucks) and see if the problem still occurs when you download your email via broadband? If you continue to have the problem with dialup, but you cease to have it with broadband, then I'd say that it is related to dialup. However, if the problem occurs only on occasion, and you can't discern any pattern as to when the problem is occurring, then it may be just something random.

The 2nd oldest piece of the puzzle is Outlook 2003. Have you installed all of your updates and service packs? Also, have you installed all of your XP updates and service packs?

The reason I am considering how old something is is because as things get more and more old, sooner or later companies quit supporting them.

The reason I mentioned Gmail is because everyone these days (Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, etc) is tightening up all of their applications. Perhaps there is now some incompatibility with Gmail and Outlook 2003.

But my gut feeling tells me that the most likely cause here is dialup.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks mrjimphelps,
    The problem is not with new emails - they come in as well as ever (verrrry slooowly) but all the emails previously downloaded. Before this morning they were accessible because they had been saved on the laptop - after the freeze up of Outlook this morning all those emails (going back years) showed the little icon (sort of a sheet with upper right corner turned over) indicating not downloaded. This only affected the main Inbox not the half dozen sub folders.

On edit: Yes, all updates are obtained and applied to XP Pro and Office I use Secunia to keep up to date. The emails with changed icons can be downloaded again and sit there as they previously did - no icon and readable while offline. I can drive to a wireless connection and will have to if no solution turns up.

Brian S
    Last edited by nattres; 2012-11-28 at 18:06.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    How big is your PST file?

Have your tried running SCANPST.exe?

Have you compacted your PST recently?

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe
    Outlook.pst is 1.56 Gb, Outlookimap.gmail.com-00000004.pst is 798 Mb, archive.pst is 850 Mb. I just compacted and none of them changed at all. scanpst.exe seems to have stalled at part 7 of 8 "checking folders and items ..."
    First time for trying to compact (familiar with process from Access) and using scanpst.
    Brian S

scanpst just completed with errors found. Selected repair with make backup option.
    Last edited by nattres; 2012-11-28 at 22:50.

Thanks
    Your older email might have gotten so old that it got auto archived.

It doesn't sound like your PST file is too full -- it should be able to get to 2 GB before you have problems. Still, I'd consider creating a new outlook.pst file and making it the default.

Are you doing pop3 or imap? If you're doing imap, then you may have reached the size limit on your mailbox with your email service, because all of your email is kept on their server. However, if you are doing pop3, and if you are deleting it off of the server after it downloads to your PST (or soon thereafter), you won't have a size limitation on their server, because the mail is continually deleted off of their server.

If you are doing pop3, make sure that it is actually being deleted off of you email service's server. Maybe it isn't, and therefore maybe you have filled up your mailbox.