Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copying Windows Mail folder to Windows 8 from Vista DVD

I wish to copy the Windows Mail Folder from my Vista DVD to my Windows 8 programs file. (I uninstalled Vista a long time ago). If someone could please explain how to do this I would be grateful.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 & IE11 & Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit & IE11-Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB

Roy Whitethread

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Prescott and thanks for the replies. With regard to post#2 I have a strange problem, namely every time I copy the msidcrl30.dll file from the Windows 7 system 32 folder and paste it in the Windows 8 C:\Windows\system 32 folder it goes to the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder instead! Any ideas as to how I can sort this out?

Further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 & IE11 & Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit & IE11-Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Are you attempting to get the Vista version of Winmail to work in Win 8? I posted this solution elsewhere:

Using WinMail (Vista version) in Win 8
    Here's a solution for all who want to use winmail and windows 8. Many people have tried to do this. I found this solution in another forum. DrWho has tried this and tells me it works.

The procedure is almost the same as windows 7 , but we will need a dll file.

First , we do the same procedure as in windows 7 :

a) Take ownership of winmail forder ( if you use windows 8x64 , you need to take oweneship of program files/winmail and program files(x86)/winmail). Remember to check the " show system files " before that.

b) Delete all the files in winmail forder and replace them with the windows 7 / winmail files.

c) Copy msidcrl30.dll to c:/windows/system32 folder

d) Now , we have to register the above dll. Open cmd and type : regsvr32 "c:/windows/system32\msidcrl30.dll" and press enter.

Reboot , just in case , and you're done

!! Attached Files
    I could not immediately find it here, so I went to another forum to find the solution I posted somewhere in the Lounge.

I see this is the post Prescott has provided. Perhaps the dll in the zip file will work.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-11-29 at 13:10.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows + R Shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00

You will get a page entitled Choose an option. Choose Troubleshoot

You will get a page entitled Troubleshoot Choose Advanced options

You will get a page entitled Advanced options Choose Startup Settings

You will get a page entitled Startup Settings Choose Restart

Windows 8 will restart, and then you will get a different page entitled Startup Settings

hit F6 to Choose 6) Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt

After a lot of delay, and several screens, you will get Administrator: cmd.exe

When the command line comes up enter [for example]

cd \Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino-1.0.2
    copy arduino.exe \windows\system32
    dir \windows\system32\ar*
    shutdown /s /t 00

When you restart and get to the Metro Screen, select Desktop

Windows 8 will ask you, Do you want Command Line to make changes? Select Yes, and when the command line window opens [in \Windows\System32] type dir ar*
    exit

In your case of course it will be msidcrl30.dll

Give it a try, and let me know how it works for you.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [Ted, re your post # 5 I was able to copy the dll in the zip file to the system 32 folder, but when I ran the command you mentioned I got the message referred to in the attached screenshot.

How do I sort this out?

ATTACH=CONFIG]33431[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Roy, not sure. I did not use this process, just found it and posted it. Perhaps the process Prescott provided will help.

I know DrWho did use this process and it worked. Perhaps you could PM him and ask him to visit this post and provide some guidance.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Roy, It looks like you had a typo in the path name. You should have C:\windows\system32\msi..... instead of C:/windows/system32\msi..... shown in the error report.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, thanks I changed the path but still got an error report-see attached screenshot.

What am I doing wrong?

Screenshot - 30-Nov-12 , 12_46_10 AM.png

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Duh! I'm not quite sure what's going on here.
    To get Windows Mail to work in Win-7 all you need is the MSOE.dll file from Vista, loaded into the Windows Mail folder.
    That's it..... one simple little file, NOT an entire folder, etc.

Now in Windows 8, they threw one more clinker into the game. Besides the above replacement you also needed to add the msidcrl30.dll file to the same folder. I did it and it worked.

This was all written up in the windows 8 forum, some time ago.
    I no longer work that forum due to all the spyware on it and I no longer even have Win-8 running on any of my machines.
    Medico, originally told me about the fix so maybe he still has the information. Eh?

System .dll files need to be in the System files folder, but .dll files for a particular program can be right in the folder with the .exe file. OK?
    Just like the msoe.dll file is in the Windows Mail folder.

OOOps!
    If you're running the 64 bit version of Win-8, then everything we've said here has to be done in the 64bit program files folder and not the 32 bit program files folder.
    Both the msoe.dll file and the msidcrl30.dll file also have to be from a 64 bit version of Windows.

Happy Holidays!
    Doc
    Last edited by DrWho; 2012-11-30 at 09:13. Reason: Ooops!
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    DrWho, sincere thanks for replying, and yes I am running Win 8 x64.

If I understand you correctly I need to proceed as follows:

1.Replace the Win 7 x64 WinMail folder I added to the Win 8 x64 programs folder with the one from Win Vista x64.

2.Delete the Win 7 x86 WinMail folder I added to the Win 8 x86 programs folder.

3.Delete the msidcrl30.dll file I copied from the zip file to the Win 8 system 32 folder.

4.Copy Vista x64 msidcrl30.dll file to the Win 8 system 32 folder.

5.Run the command referred to in post #5.

I would appreciate your confirmation or correction.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    I think he said that if you are running a 64 Bit, you need to put everything in the 64 Bit folder, not the 32 Bit folder (as you show in 4. above)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Ted, what folder in Win 8 should I copy the Vista x64 msidcrl30.dll file to, and as you are saying not to the Win 8 system 32 folder what command will I need to enter in place of the one mentioned in your post #5?

Roy Whitethread

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    OOOps! If you're running the 64 bit version of Win-8, then everything we've said here has to be done in the 64bit program files folder and not the 32 bit program files folder.
    Both the msoe.dll file and the msidcrl30.dll file also have to be from a 64 bit version of Windows.
    I think the determining factor is not whether the OS (Vista or Win8) is 32 or 64 bit, but whether the Windows Mail application is 32 or 64 bit. I'm pretty sure Windows Mail is 32 bits even on 64 bit versions of Vista.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast